Northwest Cabarrus High School
|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Northwest Cabarrus High School|
|5130 Northwest Cabarrus Dr.
Concord, North Carolina
|School type||public school|
|School district||Cabarrus County Schools|
|Color(s)||Orange, Black, White
|Athletics conference||South Piedmont 3A|
|Rival||Jay M. Robinson, Cox Mill|
Northwest Cabarrus High School, commonly referred to simply as Northwest and abbreviated as NCHS, is a comprehensive public high school located in Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA. Although inside the Kannapolis city limits, the school has a Concord address and phone number. The school is a part of the Cabarrus County Schools system.
It opened in 1966, merging the former high schools in the Odell and Winecoff communities.
Northwest's academic coursework falls in line with the North Carolina Standard Course of Study in all core subject areas. Advanced Placement courses are offered in United States History, American Government and Politics, Biology, Studio Art, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, English language, English Literature, Statistics, and Calculus.
Northwest's athletic teams are known as the Trojans. The school is in the 3A classification of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association. In 2009 Northwest's athletics teams moved back to the South Piedmont Conference, after competing in the North Piedmont Conference from 2001 to 2009. The school sponsors boys' football, tennis, cross country, soccer, basketball, wrestling, swimming, baseball, track, and golf; and girls' tennis, volleyball, cross country, soccer, basketball, swimming, softball, track, and cheerleading.
The Trojan athletic program has won three team state championships - one in baseball (1971), and two in girls cross country (1990 and 1991).
ITS (International Thespian Society)
ITS is a student honorary division of the Educational Theatre Association. ITS offers festivals and conferences to further a student's education in theatre. Continued activities are conducted by the President and Vice-President.
Continued Events planned by ITS
- Fall Play
- Spring Musical
- Musical Theatre Showcase
- One Act Play
- Improv Team
- 24 Hour Play Project
- 10 Minute Play Festival
In 2012 the Advanced Acting class took the one act play, "The Yellow Boat" to NCTC (North Carolina Theatre Conference) Regionals. Awards received at regionals include: Outstanding Achievement in Ensemble Acting, Excellence in Directing(Andrea Rassler), Excellence in Acting(Lole Johnson), and Distinguished Play(votes from the Audience). The Show Advanced to NCTC (North Carolina Theatre Conference) States for the first time where they received an award in Excellence in Use of Props.
The Blumey Awards: "The program’s mission is to recognize, reward and encourage talent and achievement in musical theater among high school students in the greater Charlotte area. The Blumey Awards highlight the importance of musical theater and arts education."
- Zombie Prom (2012) - Lights (Nomination)
- Flight of the LawnChair Man (2013) - Costumes (Nomination)
- Flight of the LawnChair Man (2013) - Featured Actor [Emily Absher] (Nomination)
- Little Women (2015) - Supporting Actress [Karen Stahl] (Nomination)
- Little Women (2015) - Lead Actress [Lauren Hunkele] (Win)
- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (2016) - Lead Actor [Kaleb Jenkins] (Nomination)
- Robert Garmon (1967-1978)
- Bernie Edwards (1978-1986)
- Glenda Poole (1986-1991)
- Ken Cartrett (1991-1997)
- Walter Hart (1998-2000)
- Phil Hull (2000-2003)
- Dan Meehan (2003-2006)
- Sharon Abercrombie (2006-2007)
- Lynn Rhymer (2007-2011)
- Mike Jolley (2011- 2016)
- Chris Myers (2016-
- Skeet Ulrich (1988), actor in the 1996 film Scream, the TV series "Jericho" and Law & Order: Los Angeles.
- Kyle Seager (2006), All-Star Major League Baseball third baseman for the Seattle Mariners.
- Justin Seager (2010), Minor League Baseball infielder for the Bakersfield Blaze.
- Darrell Wallace Jr. (2011), NASCAR driver for Roush Fenway Racing.
- Corey Seager (2012), All-Star Major League Baseball shortstop for the Los Angeles Dodgers (1st round pick in the 2012 MLB Draft).
- Rachel Reilly (2002), Contestant on Big Brother 12 and winner of Big Brother 13.
- Bradley Pinion (2012), Punter for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League.