Nullsoft Streaming Video
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (March 2008)|
|Magic number||'N','S','V','f' (0x4E, 0x53, 0x56, 0x66)|
|Type of format||Digital container format|
The NSV format is another example of streaming video formats, offered by various companies and media players. Windows Media, QuickTime File Format and RealMedia streams are just a few examples of these, and each have their benefits and shortcomings.
One of the shortfalls of most streaming formats often comes from the difficulty in finding streams, or at least some form of directory service; and in some cases, none are readily available to the public at all.
With Nullsoft's SHOUTcast service, a media streaming and directory system, the NSV format has become popular, along with SHOUTcast's listings of Streaming Audio, which reach well into the thousands. The "Media Library" offers integrated listings of both audio and video streams, returned directly from the SHOUTcast service.
NSV was created in late 2002/early 2003 by Justin Frankel while working at Nullsoft. Originally designed as a demonstration of the potential that newly developed streaming technology Ultravox could offer, it has since become an accepted format for AOL streaming media, with many promotional videos available on both Winamp.com and the AOL website.
Current media players that support the Nullsoft Video format are:
|This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (March 2008)|
- GoodPlayer for iOS
- K-Multimedia Player
- MoboPlayer for Android
- RealPlayer Plug-In - http://rnsv.hit.bg
- RockPlayer 1.x for Android (not RockPlayer2)
- VLC (with VP6 support since 0.8.6)
- www.nullsoft.com - Official Nullsoft Video Software Download Site
- File Extension NSV - Software, that support NSV file
- forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=152 - Official Nullsoft Video Forum
- http://ultravox.aol.com/NSVFormat.rtf - NSV Format specification and documentation
- Sourceforge.net Project Page: Nsv Lib - Unofficial Open Source - cross Platform, in development NSV Library in C++