Oblivion (metal band)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Bay Area, California, USA|
|Genres||Technical death metal, black metal, extreme metal|
|Labels||Unique Leader Records|
|Associated acts||Antagony, Hacksaw to the Throat, Feast|
|Past members||Joe Ellis|
Oblivion is an American technical death metal band from the Bay Area formed in 2007. They have released one album, one demo and several music videos. Members of Oblivion have previously performed in several notable metal bands such as Antagony, All Shall Perish, Hacksaw to the Throat, Alchemicon, Feast and Fractals. Another notable aspect of Oblivion is the fact that one member has a doctorate degree in music and is a university professor, while another has a doctorate in mathematics. Currently, the band is signed to Unique Leader and will release multiple albums through the label. A reissue of their debut album, "Called to Rise", will be released on October 15, 2013.
In 2007, after two decades away from the scene, Bay Area thrash metal veteran Ted O'Neill sought musicians with which to play music. His previous band, Alchemicon, had broken up after appearing on the Metal Blade Records compilation "Complete Death 2." O'Neill found a suitable partner in Joe Ellis, a seasoned session guitarist in the Bay Area metal scene. The duo began playing music together but required an additional component to refine their sound. They sought the services of Nick Vasallo, an award-winning composer and professor of music. Vasallo, who founded Antagony and fronted several other Bay Area bands, was appointed lead vocalist and bassist. The trio began writing songs immediately and recorded at their in-house recording studio (reamping courtesy of Zack Ohren at Castle Ultimate Studios in Oakland, California). Their first released song "Annunaki" went viral with a simultaneous video release that received over 5000 hits in 24 hours. Since their first studio session video they have received 20,000 views in 3 weeks. After their demo CD was released, both John Haag and Joe Ellis were replaced by Luis Martinez and Victor Dods.
Ownership of band name and endorsements
Despite there being several other bands named Oblivion, the members officially secured the ownership of the name with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Members of Oblivion are currently endorsed by KxK Guitars, Rhodes Amplification, Ibanez, Ernie Ball, Mesa Boogie, Fractal Audio, In Tune guitar picks, WeNeedMerch.com, VIPmerch.com and ENGL.
Musical style, vocal style, and lyrical themes
Oblivion's music utilizes aspects from multiple styles of extreme metal: death metal, black metal, and thrash metal. Nick Vasallo's vocals frequently fluctuate between death growls, inward subtone singing and high-pitched screams.
Unlike much of their peers, Oblivion's lyrical themes do not revolve around religion, war, politics, or gore. Their band name literally translates to "the condition or state of being forgotten or unknown." Because of this they sing about the history of the earth that has been buried with time.
- Current members
- Ted O'Neil - guitar (2007-present)
- Nick Vasallo - vocals, bass (2007-present)
- Ben Orum - bass - (2012-present)
- Luis Martinez - drums (2012-present)
- Victor Dods - guitar (2012-present)
- Former members
- Joe Ellis – guitar (2007-2012)
- Live musicians
- John Haag - drums (2007-present)
- Curt Opem - drums (2007-present)
- Studio albums
|2013||Called to Rise|
|2012||"Studio Session No. 1: Annunaki" [HD]||Oblivion|
|2012||"Studio Session No. 2: Reclamation" [HD]||Oblivion|
|2012||"Studio Session No. 3: Between Suns of Light [HD]"||Oblivion|
|2012||"OBLIVION - Black Veils of Justice (Official Video) HD"||Chris Reese, Carlos Saldana, Grzegorz Jonkajtys|
|2012||"OBLIVION - Reclamation (Official Video) [HD]"||Brandon Hunt|
|2013||"OBLIVION - Canon 1 in E minor (Official Video) [HD]"||Brandon Hunt|
|2013||"OBLIVION - Multiverse (Official Video) [HD]"||Brandon Hunt|
- "''Metal Archives'' - Oblivion (USA)". Metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Oblivion Signs With Unique Leader Records". Blabbermouth.net. 2013-07-22. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "Nick Vasallo - New Piece Performance". The Circle Pit. 2013-04-20. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "''Various'' – Complete Death 2". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Oblivion band info". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Rhodes Amplification NEWS". Rhodesamplification.com. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Oblivion Posts "Annunaki" Studio Footage". Metalunderground.com. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Trademark Search > Trademark Category > Computer & Software Products & Electrical & Scientific Products > OBLIVION". Trademarkia.com. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Trademarks > Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) > Oblivion > Serial Number# 85511004". Uspto.gov. 2011-12-29. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "KxK Endorsed Artists". Kxkguitars.com. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Who Uses Rhodes Amplification?". rhodesamplification.com. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "OBLIVION Biography". CD Baby. Retrieved 2012-01-21.[dead link]
- "Oblivion > Discography". Metal Archives. 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Oblivion Demo 2012". CD baby. Retrieved 2012-01-21.[dead link]
- "CALLED TO RISE - OBLIVION". Bandcamp. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "New Signing: Oblivion". Uniqueleader.com. 2013-07-26. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "OBLIVION - Studio Session No. 1: "Annunaki"". Youtube.com. 2012-01-06. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "OBLIVION - Studio Session No. 2: "Reclamation"". Youtube.com. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "OBLIVION - Studio Session No. 3: "Between Suns of Light"". Youtube.com. 2012-01-17. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "OBLIVION - Black Veils of Justice (Official Video)". Youtube.com. 2012-01-17. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "OBLIVION - Reclamation (Official Video)". Youtube.com. 2012-12-22. Retrieved 2012-12-22.
- "OBLIVION - Canon 1 in E minor (Official Video) [HD]". Youtube.com. 2013-04-14. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "OBLIVION - Multiverse (Official Video) [HD]". Youtube.com. 2013-07-29. Retrieved 2013-07-22.