Origin and meaning
The name Oelfke, name of farmers from the "Hohe Heidmark" of the administrative district Heidekreis in Lower-Saxony, Germany traces back to Ol, Oel=Adel (nobility), Od=Besitz (property), like Oleff, Oloff, Odulleib, that's the one who has the life in sense of "being inheritor", simply expressed that's the one who owns the inheritance of farmer. The farm's name "Oelfkenhof" in Oerbke is already traced to the "Celler Schatzregister" of 1438.
A descendant of the Oelfke family immigrated to the area of Hamburg, Minnesota where thousands of his descendants now live.
- Tami Oelfken (1888–1957), German author and school reformer
- Bryan Oelkers (born 1961), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Claire Oelkers, singer of the German rock band Karpatenhund
- Olga Oelkers (1887–1969), German fencer
- Stuhlmacher, Hans (1939) Die Heidmark. Louis Scheling, Walsrode. p. 354 (German)
- Celler Schatzregister 1438 (German)
|This page lists people with the surname Oelfke. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|