Oliver Gould Jennings
He was born on April 27, 1865 in New York City to Oliver Burr Jennings (1825–1893) and Esther Judson Goodsell (1828–1908). His maternal aunt, Almira Geraldine Goodsell (1844–1920), was the wife of Standard Oil co-founder William A. Rockefeller, Jr. (1841–1922). He attended Phillips Andover, graduated from Yale University, was an 1887 initiate into Yale's Skull and Bones Society,:42 and later graduated from Columbia Law School.
In 1896, he married Mary Dows Brewster (1871—1964), daughter of Benjamin Brewster and Elmina Hersey Dows. They had two children:
- Lawrence K. Jennings
- Benjamin Brewster Jennings (1898—1968), who married Kate deForest Prentice (1903—1994)
Jennings built a forty-room French Renaissance style home called the Mailands in Fairfield, Connecticut. The building later became part of the campus of Fairfield University and was renamed McAuliffe Hall. Jennings also owned a mansion on East 72nd Street in New York City, which is now known as Oliver Gould Jennings House.
- "Oliver Jennings, Capitalist, Dead. Director of Many Companies, 71, Had Been on Board of Bethlehem Steel. Was Former Legislator. Served in Connecticut House of Representatives. Brother of Mrs. Walter B. James". New York Times. October 14, 1936. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale University Deceased during the Year 1936-1937" (PDF). Yale University. Dec 1, 1937. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- "Mrs. Oliver Jennings". New York Times. May 7, 1964. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
Jennings, widow of Oliver G. Jennings, who died in 1936, was a member of the first graduating class of.....School. She had long been active in.....
- "McAuliffe Hall". Digital Archives @ DiMenna-Nyselius Library. Fairfield University. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- "Oliver Gould Jennings Buried in Fairfield. Funeral at St. James Episcopal Church Conducted by Rev. H. W. B. Donegan". New York Times. October 17, 1936. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
More than 500 persons attended the funeral yesterday of Oliver Gould Jennings, capitalist and director of many companies, who died on Tuesday of bronchial.....