Oliver Grün was born on 13 February 1969 in Mülheim an der Ruhr (Germany), and is a German engineer and entrepreneur. He is the founder and CEO of GRÜN Software AG in Aachen, President of European Digital SME Alliance and President of the Federal Association of IT-SMEs of Germany (BITMI), the only information technology industry association which exclusively represents the interests of small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) in Germany. Since 2013 he is member of the Advisory Council for IT of the Federal Ministry of Economy, which gives advice on issues concerning the digital economy.
At RWTH Aachen University, he obtained a diploma in engineering from the RWTH Aachen University in 2001. In 2005, he graduated with a DPhil in commercial information technology from the Comenius University in Bratislava and in 2013 he graduated with a second DPhil lectureship.
Even since he began his studies in 1989, Oliver Grün has founded a software company in 1989, today called GRÜN Software AG. The group of companies employs more than 100 employees and has offices in Aachen, Bratislava, Berlin and Vienna. It specialises in creating business solution software, for among others, non-profit organisations, education providers, warehousing and capacity planning.
As CEO and president, Oliver Grün has led with the development of Bundesverband IT-Mittelstand (BITMi) in 2010. The medium-sized IT company represents the interests of medium-sized IT companies. In Computerwoche's latest list of the 100 most important German IT personalities in 2011, Oliver Grün ranked 68th
Oliver Grün is a member of the task group "Digital Economy in Germany" at the National IT Summit of the Federal Government. Since 2013, Oliver Grün is principal member of the IT advisory board "Young Digital Economy" of the Federal Government, residing in the Federal Ministry of Economics. In addition, he has been president of European Digital SME Alliance since 2015.
Since 2014 he has also been a member of the Federal Economic Senate of the Federal Association Medium-Sized Enterprises.
Grün lives in Belgium, is married and has three children.
Other activities and honorary positions
- Jury member of the IT Innovation Award of Initiative Mittelstand (Since 2008)
- Founding shareholder and advisor of the non-profit organisation gut.org AG, operator of the Internet charity betterplace.org (since 2009)
- Member of the Advisory Council for Education and Further Education of the Society for Computer Science (since 2013)
- Juror of "Germany's Digital Minds" the Society for Computer Science, an initiative of the Federal Ministry of Education, Berlin (since 2014)
- Profile of the GRÜN Software AG, retrieved 4 June 2015
- Official Webseite of Oliver Grün, retrieved 4 June 2015
- Oliver Grün, President of the German Association of Medium Sized IT-Companies BITMi e.V., retrieved 29 June 2015
- Advisory Boards at the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, retrieved 29 June 2015
- Headquarters of the GRÜN Software AG, retrieved 4 June 2015
- Computerwoche, leading German IT magazine, retrieved 29 June 2015
- PIN SME: Oliver Grün elected President of the European Digital SME Association, retrieved 29 June 2015
- Betterplace.org, Shareholder, retrieved 29 June 2015