One California Plaza
|One California Plaza|
One California Plaza with the edge of Two California Plaza to the left
300 South Grand Avenue|
Los Angeles, California
|Owner||Partnership Between Rising Realty Partners & Colony Northstar, Inc.|
|Management||Rising Realty Partners|
|Roof||176 m (577 ft)|
|Floor area||97,548 m2 (1,050,000 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Arthur Erickson Architects|
|Developer||Metropolitan Structures West|
|Structural engineer||John A. Martin & Associates|
|Main contractor||The Beck Group|
One California Plaza is a 176 m (577 ft) skyscraper located in the Bunker Hill District of downtown Los Angeles, California. With a second skyscraper, Two California Plaza, it comprises the California Plaza project. The Plaza also is home to the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, Colburn School of Performing Arts, the Los Angeles Omni Hotel, and a 1.5-acre (0.61 ha) water court.
California Plaza was a ten-year, $1.2 billion project. Started in 1983, the Two California Plaza tower was completed in 1992 during a significant slump in the downtown Los Angeles real estate market. The tower opened with only 30 percent of its space leased and overall vacancy rates in downtown office space neared 25 percent. It was nearly 10 years before significant tall buildings were completed again in downtown Los Angeles.
California Plaza was originally planned to include 3 high rise tower office buildings instead of the two completed. Three California Plaza at 65 floors, was planned for a site just north of 4th St., directly across Olive St. from California Plaza's first two office highrises and was planned to house the Metropolitan Water District's permanent headquarters.
The construction and $23 million cost of the MOCA Grand Avenue building was part of a city-brokered deal with the developer of the California Plaza redevelopment project, Bunker Hill Associates, who received the use of an 11-acre (4.5 ha), publicly owned parcel of land.
One California Plaza was purchased on June 6, 2017 by a partnership between Rising Realty Partners and Colony Northstar, Inc.
- "One California Plaza". CTBUH Skyscraper Database.
- One California Plaza at Emporis
- One California Plaza at Glass Steel and Stone
- "One California Plaza". SkyscraperPage.
- One California Plaza at Structurae
- "One California Plaza". Maquire Properties. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- Stevenson, Richard W. (November 11, 1991). "Office Glut Spreads in California". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- Berton, Brad (April 26, 1993). "Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency's notice of default suit against Bunker Hill Associates". The Los Angeles Business Journal. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- Rutten, Tim (December 6, 2008). "What MOCA really needs". Los Angeles Times.
- Hayes, Tome (May 12, 1985). "Los Angeles: For Downtown, An Ambitious Mixed-Use Project". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 August 2010.