|Type||non-profit s. 501(c)(3) charity|
|Focus||No kill animal sheltering|
|Dallas, Texas and Fort Worth, Texas|
|Jim Hanophy, CEO|
|$4.95 million in 2013|
Operation Kindness is a no kill animal shelter for domestic cats and dogs located in Carrollton, Texas. It is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and describes itself as the oldest and largest no-kill animal shelter in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Its income is derived from donations from individuals and businesses, adoptions, fundraising events, and the sale of pet-related merchandise.
Operation Kindness was founded in 1976, as an alternative to shelters that euthanized or destroyed unwanted and stray animals after a period of time if homes could not be found for them. Its first twelve years were spent in a small building in Garland, Texas. In 1998, the building was no longer available, and a larger shelter reopened in Carrollton, Texas. An even larger shelter, measuring 10,000 square feet or 929 square meters, was completed in 1999.
Operation Kindness cares for approximately 300 animals on a day-to-day basis, with another 100 animals in foster homes. More than 3,000 dogs and cats are adopted from Operation Kindness each year. In 2013, a record 3,704 animals were adopted, totalling over 75,000 animals since the shelter's opening.
In 2014, the organization held its fifth annual reunion picnic for dogs and cats adopted from the shelter, with about 200 people participating with their "furry companions."
Pets for Vets
Operation Kindness participates in Pets for Vets, as its North Texas chapter. In this program, animals are matched with returning soldiers, and trained for basic obedience and any other needs that the veteran may have. Veterans accepted into the program receive their trained companion animal at no cost, along with all initial needed supplies.
- Best Cat Sanctuary - 2011
- Best Place to Get a Pet - 2004 and 2001
- "Operation Kindness hires Jim Hanophy as CEO", Danielle Abril, Dallas Business Journal, July 29, 2013.
- "History of OK", Operation Kindness, accessed Nov. 17, 2014.
- "About", Operation Kindness, accessed Nov. 17, 2014.
- "Operation Kindness Breaks Animal Adoption Record", Alannah Connealy, Addison: The Magazine of the North Dallas Corridor, Feb. 10, 2014.
- "Operation Kindness Offers Black Friday Special: $20 Off Black Pets", Advocate Lakewood/East Dallas, Nov. 28, 2014.
- "Animal Alumni Gather To Celebrate Adoption From Operation Kindness", Madeline Schmitt, CBSDFW.com, May 17, 2014.
- "Pets for Vets", Operation Kindness, accessed Nov. 17, 2014.
- "Pets for Vets - North Texas Chapter", Pets for Vets, accessed Nov. 17, 2014.
- "Operation Kindness", Dallas Observer, accessed Nov. 17, 2014.