Orange County Business Journal
|Headquarters||18500 Von Karman, Ste. 150, Irvine, CA 92612 United States.|
The Orange County Business Journal is a weekly print and online newspaper covering business in Orange County, California. The paper is the second largest business journal in California after the Los Angeles Business Journal.
The Orange County Business Journal is among the largest business journals in the country, in league with Crain’s Chicago Business, the Los Angeles Business Journal, the San Francisco Business Times, Atlanta Business Chronicle and the Boston Business Journal.
The editorial department of the Orange County Business Journal publishes reference lists within the paper, including their lists of top firms in Orange County, the most influential business people in the county, and a list of the wealthiest people. At the end of each year, the Business Journal publishes their Book of Lists, a compilation of the lists that have run during the year.
The Orange County Business Journal also publishes special reports and advertising supplements. The special reports, lists and supplements are all located within the pages of the paper.
In 1978, Marsha Feldman (later Marengo) started the paper as the Business Community Journal. In 1980, she changed the name to the Orange County Business Journal. The paper was bought over by its current owner: CBJ, L.P. Publisher Richard Reisman and Editor Rick Reiff, now the paper’s executive editor and a Pulitzer Prize recipient, joined soon after, leading a period of rapid growth for the paper.
In 2000, Michael Lyster, the paper’s former technology reporter, returned from Investor Business Daily to become the editor of the Orange County Business Journal. Jerry Sullivan replaced Lyster until spring 2017, when he was replaced by Pete Weitzner, who ran the broadcast-journalism program at Chapman University since 1997. Weitzner was the 2012 Sky Dunlop winner, an honor given by the Orange County Press Club for lifetime service to journalism and the community. Hannah Mitchell is the Orange County Business Journal's managing editor.
- June 2006 Audit Bureau of Circulations, retrieved 2007-08-03
- General News Reporting 1987 - Akron Beacon Journal, lead reporter
- Rothmyer, Karen. Winning Pulitzers, Columbia University Press (1991), Page 9
- Roush, Chris. (July 26, 2011). "New editor at Orange County Business Journal", Talking Biz News. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Roush, Chris. (June 5, 2017). "Professor hired as Orange County Biz Journal editor", Talking Biz News. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Bonker, Dawn. (July 31, 2012) "Professor Pete Weitzner honored with Orange County Press Club’s service award". Chapman University. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- "Staff: Hannah Mitchell", Orange County Business Journal. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Roderick, Kevin (February 25, 2013) "Bunch of moves at the LA Daily Journal" LA Observed. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Chapman University Center for Economic Research, Chapman University, 2006 Chapman University Economic Forecast/College of Business and Economics Cal State Fullerton
- EDD Labor Market Division, California Department of Finance, US Bureau of the Census
- US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Wills, Kendall J. (1988). The Pulitzer Prizes, 1987. Touchstone/Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-671-65956-1.