Oregon State Board of Higher Education
The Oregon State Board of Higher Education was the statutory governing board for the Oregon University System. The board was composed of eleven members appointed by the Governor of Oregon and confirmed by the Oregon State Senate. Nine members were appointed for four year terms; two members were students and appointed for two year terms.
The board was established in 1929 when the Oregon Legislature passed chapter 251, Oregon Laws 1929, that unified the state's public universities under the auspices of the newly created Department of Higher Education. Part of that law abolished each public school's board of regents and created a nine-member State Board of Higher Education. Becky Johnson, the first person whose appointment to a state Commission was subject to Senate approval, served on the Board from 1962 - 1975.
Former Governor of Oregon Neil Goldschmidt was appointed and selected as the board's president in January 2004, but the Senate confirmation process that approved his appointment also led to revelations of a decades-old sex scandal. Goldschmidt resigned from the board three months after his appointment. Governor Ted Kulongoski took the unusual step of assuming the board presidency following Goldschmidt's resignation.
The most recent addition to the Board was Jim Francesconi, former Portland City Councillor and mayoral candidate. He was confirmed by a vote of 28-1 in February, 2007, with Senator Vicki Walker casting the sole "no" vote, and Senator Rick Metsger absent.
Both the Oregon State Board of Higher Education and the Oregon University System closed permanently on June 30, 2015. Most of the authorizations and programs of those two agencies were assumed by the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission, which was formed in 2011 and expanded by the legislature in 2013 when independent boards were established for the University of Oregon, Oregon State University, and Portland State University.
- State ex rel. Oregon State Dental Ass’n et al. v. Smith et al. (1954), 201 Or. 288; 270 P.2d 142.
- Jim Witty (January 3, 2007). "Philanthropist Becky Johnson leaves legacy". The Bend Bulletin.
- "Board of Higher Ed Elects Neil Goldschmidt as its President" (Press release). Oregon University System. January 27, 2004.
- PERS Help - Update April - May 2004
- Schmidt, Peter. "Sex Scandal Complicates Overhaul of Oregon University System". The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Portland Business Journal, February 23, 2007.
- official record from Oregon Legislative Assembly.
- Kulongoski press release
- OregonLive.com blog reporting Senate vote
- "Home | dev.ous.edu | Oregon State University". ous.edu. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- "Higher Education Coordinating Commission changes". Government & Community Relations. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Oregon State Board of Higher Education (official website)
|This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Oregon government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|