Oriental Institute in Sarajevo
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Orijentalni institut u Sarajevu|
|Formation||15 May 1950|
|University of Sarajevo|
The Oriental Institute in Sarajevo (Bosnian: Orijentalni institut u Sarajevu) is an academic institute in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. It has existed since 1950, but it suffered significant destruction in 1992 during the Siege of Sarajevo.
Its premises, research library and complete manuscript collection (more than 2,000 codices and 15,000 other archival material) was deliberately destroyed in shelling on May 18, 1992 by Serb forces around the besieged city of Sarajevo. According to interviews with eyewitnesses, the building had been hit with a barrage of incendiary munitions, fired from positions on the hills overlooking the town center. No other buildings in the densely built neighborhood were hit. The Institute, which occupied the top floors of a large, four-storey office block on the corner of Veljka Cubrilovica Street and Marshal Tito Boulevard (Sarajevo Centar municipality), was completely burned out, its collections destroyed.
The manuscript collection of the Oriental institute was one of the richest collections of Oriental manuscripts worldwide. These manuscripts over centuries were written in the wide areas of the East to serve worldwide as life manuals for the people.
Losses also included 5,263 bound manuscripts in Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Hebrew and local arebica - (Bosnian in Arabic script), as well as tens of thousands of Ottoman-era documents.
- The Oriental Institute in Sarajevo - Official Web Site
- Fighting the destruction of memory - A call for an in-gathering of Bosnian manuscripts
- Documenting Destruction - See slides 1, and 15-17.
- Destruction of cultural heritage in Bosnia-Herzegovina 1992-1996 - A Post-war Survey of Selected Municipalities
- Christopher Markiewicz and Nir Shafir, ed. (2014). "Institute for Oriental Studies in Sarajevo". Hazine: a Guide to Researching the Middle East and Beyond.