The term may also refer to strong dislike of birds, for example pest birds in grain-producing areas. Anatidaephobia is the fear of ducks. Along with alektorophobia, it is a type of ornithophobia.
Notable people with ornithophobia
American rapper Marshall Mathers (Eminem), has claimed he suffers from a type of ornithophobia, more specifically the fear of owls. England footballer David Beckham also suffers from the fear, as well from ataxophobia the fear of uncleanliness and untidiness. Actress Scarlett Johansson has claimed that she suffers from ornithophobia, as a result of the body parts of a bird. She said after working in the film We Bought a Zoo that, “I’m only afraid of birds, something about the wings and beaks and the flapping”. Other people with the fear are:
- London, Louis S. (January 1952). "Ailurophobia and ornithophobia". The Psychiatric Quarterly. 26 (1): 365–371. doi:10.1007/BF01568473. PMID 14949213.
- Irena Milosevic; Randi E. McCabe (3 March 2015). Phobias: The Psychology of Irrational Fear. ABC-CLIO. p. 252. ISBN 978-1-61069-576-3.
- Bonta, Mark (2008). "Valorizing the relationships between people and birds: Experiences and lessons from Honduras". Ornitologia Neotropical. 19 (Supplement): 1–10.
- "Scarlett Johansson on Her Fear of Birds". Page Six.
- "Bergman talks of his dreams and demons in rare interview". The Guardian. 12 December 2001.
- White, Danny (2014). Niall Horan: The Unauthorized Biography. p. 14. ISBN 1495614492.
- "Slipknot - The Devil In I (Behind The Scenes)". Youtube. Slipknot. 11 December 2014. Retrieved 24 November 2020.
- Darryl J. Littleton; Tuezdae Littleton (2012). Comediennes: Laugh Be a Lady – "Lucille Ball". Hal Leonard Corporation. p. (eBook)(Chapter 5). ISBN 9781480329744. Retrieved April 26, 2021.