Since 2000, he has written on a variety of subjects including art and design for British newspapers and magazines, including The Sunday Times and Tatler. In 2007 Humphries was made a contributing editor of The Spectator and was the launch editor of The Spectator Australia in 2008.
As director of Sebastian + Barquet London he curated shows on Carlo Mollino, Paolo Venini and Rick Owens. As head of international sales for Timothy Taylor Gallery he curated "The Tightrope Walker" with Emma Dexter. In 2016, he curated the exhibition 'Albers & the Bauhaus', examining the artist's pre-war output in the context of the work of his peers.
- "The feral beast: Changing faces of Apollo". The Independent. 14 February 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- Colin Gleadell (26 April 2010). "Market News: the controversial new editor of distinguished art magazine Apollo". The Telegraph.
- David Lister (12 April 1998). "Profile Barry Humphries: Nothing like a dame Head Head". The Independent. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- Polly Dunbar (17 January 2011). "Britain's 50 most powerful posh people under 30". Mail Online. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- Stephen Brook (17 September 2007). "James rocks up at Spectator". Media Guardian.
- Ben Dowell (1 October 2008). "Spectator to launch Australian edition". guardian.co.uk.
- Paola Totaro (27 September 2008). "Magazine tackles Oz zone (Interview)". The Age. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- Alison Roberts (1 June 2009). "Oscar Humphries: My new found love of collectable furniture". ES magazine.
- "carlo mollino: interiors at sebastian and barquet, london". Designboom. Archived from the original on 2011-02-28.
- "Press release: The Tightrope Walker (Le Funambule)". Timothy Turner Gallery. July 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-02-28.