P. D. Q. Bach in Houston: We Have a Problem!
|P.D.Q. Bach in Houston: We Have a Problem!|
|Live album by Peter Schickele|
|Recorded||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Peter Schickele chronology|
P.D.Q. Bach in Houston: We Have a Problem! is a live performance celebrating 40 years of P. D. Q. Bach. This performance features Professor Peter Schickele with Orchestra X conducted by Peter Jacoby. It includes never-before-recorded performances of "Trumpet Involuntary" movement of Iphigenia in Brooklyn, and also the rounds Odden und Enden (many of which have been previously unavailable on CD).
- Professor Peter Schickele, conductor, wine bottle, windbreaker, slide windbreaker, singist and musicological master
- Orchestra X, Peter Jacoby, conductor (on-screen credit: "semiconductor")
- Okay Chorale, Tom Jaber, chorusmaster (on-screen credit: "seasoned conductor")
- William Walters, Manager of the Stage
- Giff Nielsen, color commentator
- Michèle Eaton, singist
- David Düsing, singist
- Gerrod Pagenkopf, bargain counter tenor
- Jessica Smith, off-coloratura soprano
- Cybele Gouverneur, mezzanine-soprano
- John Weinel, tenor profundo
- Sam Handley, basso blotto
- Shih-Ting Huang, violin, captain of the orchestra
- Jaryn Philleo, oboe, double reeds
- Melanie Lancon, flute, slide whistle
- Marat Rakhmatullaev, bassoon, tromboon
- Cesar Martinez Bourguet, cello, discontinuo
- Larry Hernandez, trumpet
- Matt Menger, horn, shower hose in C alto
- Phil Moody, kazoo primo
- Brian Shircliffe, kazoo secundo
- John Welton, continuo accordiano
- Lillian Copeland, Ben Kamins, double reeds
- Patty Moeling, slide whistle
- Cheerleaders from the Spirit of Houston Cougar Band, themselves
1. "Desecration of the House" Overture
2. Schleptet in E-flat major, S. 0
- Molto Larghissimo — Allegro Boffo
- Menuetto con Brio ma Senza Trio
- Adagio Saccharino
- Yehudi Menuetto
- Presto Hey Nonny Nonnio
3. Iphigenia in Brooklyn, S. 53,162
- I. Trumpet Involuntary
- II. Aria: "When Hyperion"
- III. Recitative: "And Lo!"
- IV. Ground: "Dying"
- V. Recitative: "And in a vision"
- VI. Aria: "Running"
4. "Unbegun" Symphony (Prof. Schickele)
- III. Minuet
- IV. Andante — Allegro
5. New Horizons in Music Appreciation
- Allegro con brio from Symphony No. 5 in C minor (Beethoven)
6. Fuga Meshuga from The Musical Sacrifice, S. 50% off
7. The Seasonings, S. 1½ tsp.
- Chorus: "Tarragon of virtue is full"
- Recitative: "And there were in the same country"
- Duet: "Bide thy thyme"
- Recitative: "Then asked he"
- Chorale: "By the leeks of Babylon"
- Recitative: "Then she gave in"
- Aria: "Open sesame seeds"
- Recitative: "So saying"
- Duet: "Summer is a cumin seed"
- Soloists and chorus: "To curry favor, favor curry"
DVD Bonus Selections
1. "Unbegun" Symphony with Theme Identifications
2. Odden und Enden
- The Mule
- Three-Step Crab Dinner
- O Serpent
- Johann Sebastian Bach (Prof. Schickele)
- Please, Kind Sir, from The Art of the Ground Round
3. KUHT interview with Peter Schickele
4. Bio of Peter Schickele, P.D.Q. Bach and Peter Jacoby