PacifiCare Health Systems
|Fate||Acquired by UnitedHealth Group|
|Founder||Samuel J. Tibbitts|
|Defunct||December 21, 2005|
Number of employees
The predecessor of the company was founded in 1978 by Samuel J. Tibbitts as a subsidiary of the Lutheran Hospital Society of Southern California.
PacifiCare was incorporated in 1983.
In 1985, PacifiCare of Oregon was created.
In 1996, it acquired FHP.
It continued to market health plans under the PacifiCare and SecureHorizons names until 2011, when it changed to the UnitedHealthcare name.
Sponsorship and philanthropy
- Shinkman, Ron (February 3, 1997). "HEALTH CARE HALL OF FAME: AN INDUSTRY VISIONARY: SAMUEL J. TIBBITTS BOOSTED EFFICIENCY AT NOT-FOR-PROFITS, PIONEERED FOR-PROFITS". Modern Healthcare.
- "REPORT OF FINANCIAL EXAMINATION OF UNITEDHEALTHCARE OF OREGON, INC. LAKE OSWEGO, OREGON" (PDF). Oregon. December 31, 2014.
- GOMEZ, JAMES M. (February 12, 1993). "Founder of PacifiCare to Retire as Chairman : Management: Samuel J. Tibbitts' successors are two executives who have guided the Cypress firm's recent strong growth". Los Angeles Times.
- GOMEZ, JAMES M. (October 12, 1993). "PacifiCare Taking Wider Role as a Provider of Managed Care : Health: Armed with a $100-million 'war chest,' the Cypress-based HMO is making acquisitions to expand its market share". Los Angeles Times.
- Zuckerman, Laurence (August 6, 1996). "Pacificare Will Buy FHP, Its Health Care Rival". The New York Times.
- "UnitedHealth Group Completes Merger with PacifiCare Health Systems, Inc" (Press release). Business Wire. December 21, 2005.
- FREUDENHEIM, Milt (July 7, 2005). "UnitedHealth to Buy PacifiCare in Push Into Medicare". The New York Times.
- "Letter from UHC" (PDF). March 21, 2011.
- "PacifiCare Back with NHR for 2004 Champ Car World Series". Motor Sport. March 10, 2004.