Palmetto Cheese is a trademark for a brand of pimento cheese from Pawleys Island Specialty Foods, a division of Get Carried Away based in Pawleys Island, South Carolina. Palmetto Cheese is manufactured and packaged at Duke Sandwich Productions located in Easley, South Carolina. It is sold in three varieties: Original, Jalapeño and Bacon.
The Palmetto Cheese recipe was developed by Sassy Henry for tailgating at Atlanta Braves games. In 2006, the cheese was officially marketed to the area with 20 packages put for sale at Independent Seafood in Georgetown,South Carolina.
To meet the demand for the growing company, the Henrys found a manufacturer that could help them with future growth and opened a facility in Simpsonville, South Carolina. In 2011, distribution nearly doubled with the addition of Giant-Carlisle, Giant-Landover, Stop & Shop, and Albertsons locations. In April, 2012, Palmetto Cheese became available at 699 Walmart stores, leading Duke Sandwich to develop a new 80,000-square-foot facility to deal with increased production.
In 2013, customers consumed 4.1 million containers of Palmetto Cheese with the Original variety being the company's top seller, followed by the jalapeno and bacon variety. Duke Sandwich Productions produces 120,000 containers a week of Palmetto Cheese in 2015 that get distributed to over 6,000 stores in 35 states. The cheese is made with the following ingredients: sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, cream cheese, and a blend of spices.
- , http://www.manta.com/c/mttl0ly/get-carried-away-llc.
- , 6 Signs Your Startup Is Ready to Expand. Paula Andruss. Entrepreneur Magazine. 6 Signs Your Startup Is Ready to Expand
- Broach, Jackie R. (June 4, 2009). "Say Cheese!" (PDF). Coastal Observer. pp. 1, 19. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- , WPDE News Channel 13: Palmetto Cheese creates jobs with expansion into Walmart , Taylor Williams. April. 2012
- , Southern Classics. Jayne Cannon. AAA Go Magazine. Southern Classics.