|Observation of Panagrellus redivivus on a Zeiss microscope stage|
Chaos redivivum Linnaeus, 1767
The free-living nematode Panagrellus redivivus (sour paste nematode, or beer mat nematode from its occurrence in constantly moist felt beer mats), is known to many aquarium enthusiasts and fish keepers as the micro-worm. It is a tiny roundworm used as the first food for larger kinds of newly-hatched fish, such as larval common carp. The microworm is widely used in aquaculture as food for a variety of fish and crustacean species.
One of thirteen currently recognized species of Panagrellus, P. redivivus is about 50 μm in diameter and just over 1 mm in length, barely visible to the naked eye. Subsisting on yeast, it is easily cultured at home on a substrate of flour paste or porridge inoculated with dry yeast. Females reach maturity in about three days and deliver live young rather than eggs, as most nematodes produce.
In Vietnamese cuisine, cơm mẻ is a ingredient appears in many dishes such as buffalo meat and fish soup thanks to its sourness. Cơm mẻ is the cooked rice being lactic fermented by yeast and maintained with the existence of P. redivivus.
- Ferris, H. 2009. "The beer mat nematode, Panagrellus redivivus: A study of the connectedness of scientific discovery". J. Nematode Morphol. Syst., 12 (1): 19-25.
- Stock, S., and Nadler, N. 2006. "Morphological and molecular characterization of Panagrellus spp. (Cephalobina: Panagrolaimidae): taxonomic status and phylogenetic relationships". Nematology, 8(6), 921-938.
- Schlechtriem, C., M. Ricci, U. Focken and K. Becker (2004). "The suitability of the free-living nematode Panagrellus redivivus as live food for first-feeding fish larvae". Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 20 (3): 161. doi:10.1111/j.1439-0426.2004.00542.x.
- Linnaeus identified the species in library or book paste.
- Worm Culture Information
- "Cách Làm Cơm Mẻ thơm ngon không lo mốc chỉ 2 bước đơn giản". Cooky.vn (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "Cách làm món thịt trâu nhúng mẻ nóng hổi cực ngon". Cungbanvaobep: Món Ngon Mỗi Ngày - Ẩm Thực - Nấu Ăn. 2015-11-20. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "Cách nấu canh chua cơm mẻ ngon mê ly cho ngày tiết trời ẩm ương". ameohay.com. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- Kovaleva, E.S.; et al. (2003). "Panagrellus redivivus as a molecular model for cyst nematodes". Journal of Nematology. 35 (3): 348.
- Sautter J., Kaiser H., Focken U., Becker K. (2007). "Panagrellus redivivus (Linné) as a live food organism in the early rearing of the catfish Synodontis petricola (Matthes)". Aquaculture Research. 38 (6): 653–659. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2109.2007.01714.x.
- Batchelder, E., "Panagrellus redivivus" at Unity College Nematodes