Versatile and eclectic Italian clarinet player, renowned for the wideness of his repertory and the originality of his musical projects. In his extensive musical research, spanning from the early clarinet and chalumeaux repertory to the avantguard, Paolo Ravaglia has also managed to pass through Afro-American music, electronic elaborations of sound and a passion for simple folk reeds. For all of these reasons, he received his main conservatory degree in clarinet, a degree in jazz music, and a degree in electronic music at the Conservatory of S.Cecilia in Rome. Extremely active in the field of contemporary music, he has been invited to perform in Europe, Middle Asia, Africa, Japan, South America and U.S.A., guest soloist of Universities, important Festivals and prestigious concert series.
From 2006 to 2009 he has been the President of Nuova Consonanza (www.nuovaconsonanza.it). He's member of Alter Ego, a contemporary music ensemble which works since 1990 with many of the most important composers of the present century.
Since 1993 he has worked continuously with the clarinettist and composer William O. Smith, giving innovative performances of contemporary music and jazz. He has held conferences and seminars on the clarinet at various public and private institutions in Italy, Europe and U.S.A. and has worked as a commentator and performer for various R.A.I. programs.
He has been broadcast on radio and television in almost all of the countries he has toured as a soloist.
He has recorded with B.M.G-Ricordi, Minstrel, Edipan, Stradivarius, ESZ, Via Veneto Jazz-RCA Victor, Jazz Mobile, Dischi Ricordi, Biennale di Venezia, Emergency, Touch. The recordings he made as performer and sound designer won prices in U.S.A. and Europe, last but not least the Gramophone review Editor's Choice.
Versatile performer in the field of alternative music (whatever this term may signify) he has collaborated with artists such as Philip Glass, Frederic Rzewski, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Gavin Bryars, Pansonic, Matmos, Djivan Gasparian, Frankie Hi-Nrg, D-fuse, Philip Jeck, John De Leo, Scanner, William Basinski. Very active and appreciated also as performer-on-stage for contemporary dance and theatre and as soundtrack composer for the movie business (Golden Pardo winner at Locarno Film Festival with PRIVATE 2004).He holds the chair of clarinet at the "G.B. Martini" Conservatory of Bologna. 
- 1992 - ALTER EGO: CHAMBER WORKS - (BMG)
- 1993 - ALTER EGO: CHAMBER WORKS 2 - (BMG)
- 1995 - DALL'ONGARO: JECKYLL-CORI - (EDIPAN)
- 1997 - DUO RAVAGLIA-LONERO: CHAMBER WORKS - (MINSTREL)
- 1999 - ALTER EGO: SALVATORE SCIARRINO CHAMBER WORKS - (STRADIVARIUS)
- 1999 - Bill Smith, Paolo Ravaglia: PAIRS! - (RCA-Victor) as jazz soloist)
- 1999 - ALTER EGO: FRANCESCO PENNISI CHAMBER WORKS - (RICORDI)
- 1999 - Paolo Ravaglia, Beppe Barbera, Paolo Franciscone - DAY DREAMS - (JAZZMOBILE)
- 2000 - Bill Smith, Paolo Ravaglia, Eclettico Ensemble: LIVE IN ROME - (ECLETTICO)
- 2000 - William O.Smith, Paolo Ravaglia, Alvin Curran: DIGITAL CROSSINGS - (ECLETTICO)
- 2001 - Luigi Ceccarelli: TRE SOLI DI DANZA - (BIENNALE DI VENEZIA)
- 2001 - William O.Smith, Paolo Ravaglia, Alvin Curran: CLARINET FAKEBOOK - (ECLETTICO)
- 2001 - ALTER EGO: PHILIP GLASS - (STRADIVARIUS)
- 2002 - ALTER EGO: NICOLA SANI - (STRADIVARIUS)
- 2003 - ALTER EGO: FREDERIC RZEWSKI - (STRADIVARIUS)
- 2003 - ALTER EGO: PHILIP GLASS -600 LINES - (STRADIVARIUS)
- 2004 - ALTER EGO: SALVATORE SCIARRINO CHAMBER WORKS vol.2 - (STRADIVARIUS)
- 2005 - ALTER EGO: TOSHIO HOSOKAWA CHAMBER WORKS - (STRADIVARIUS)
- 2005 - ALTER EGO: PRIVATE - Soundtrack - (EMERGENCY) (also as composer)
- 2007 - ALTER EGO: Gavin Bryars, Philip Jeck: THE SINKING OF THE TITANIC - (TOUCH)
- 2008 - Bill Smith, Paolo Ravaglia: TRAMJAZZ - (BRECCE) (as jazz soloist)
- http://www.nuovaconsonanza.it -"
- http://www.radio.rai.it/filodiffusione/4canale/view.cfm?Q_EV_ID=101704&Q_PROG_ID= -"
- http://www.cematitalia.it/servizi/profilierepertori/interpreti/r/ravaglia.htm -"