Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni
|Pascal-Olivier de Negroni|
|Born||4 April 1829
Castello di San Colombano, Corsica
|Died||22 October 1913
|Years of service||1847–1891|
|Commands held||2ème Brigade de Cuirassiers (1884)|
|Battles/wars||Franco Prussian War of 1870
*Battle of Reichshoffen
*Battle of Sedan
|Awards||Officer of the Legion of Honor
Commander of the Legion of Honor
General Pascal-Olivier de Negroni (4 April 1829 – 22 October 1913) led the charge of Cuirassiers in the Battle of Reichshoffen during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. Negroni has been credited with inventing the famous “Negroni Cocktail”
Negroni was born in the Castle of San Colombano, also known as the Castello di San Colombano in Rogliano a commune in the Haute-Corse department of France on the island of Corsica. He joined the French Army when he was 18 years old. On August 6, 1870, he led the legendary charge of cuirassiers (mounted cavalry soldiers) in the second Battle of Reichshoffen (also known as "The Battle of Wörth") during the opening stages of the Franco Prussian War of 1870. Negroni was decorated on August 20, 1870 with Officer of the Legion of Honor.
He served in the military until 1891, retiring after 44 years of military service. Pascal-Olivier de Negroni died on October 22, 1913, in Alençon a commune in Normandy, France, capital of the Orne department.
In addition to his military accomplishments, Pascal Olivier has been credited with inventing the famous “Negroni Cocktail” (equal parts of Campari, Gin, and Sweet Vermouth, served in a short glass over ice and garnished with an orange wedge). Experts consider Camillo Negroni the inventor. However, Colonel Hector Andres Negroni and his brother Noel Xavier Negroni, members of the prestigious Negroni family recently researched the family archives and discovered there never was a Count Camillo Negroni. According to family documents, the true inventor of the “Negroni Cocktail” is Pascal Olivier de Negroni de Cardi, Comte de Negroni, their fourth cousin.
Negroni was awarded the Officier of the French Légion d'honneur
- The Negroni – La Dolce Vita in a Glass!
- France (Premiere Semestre de 1889). Bulletin des lois de la République française, Partie Supplémentaire. Tome XXXVIII. Paris: Imprimerie Nationale. p. 965. Check date values in:
- France, Ministère de la guerre, France Armée (March 1886). Annuaire officiel de l'armee francaise. Paris: Berger-Levrault et Cie, Libraires-Éditeurs. pp. 22, 51.
- "The Negroni family" - genealogical, demographic, and nobiliary study from its 11th-century origins to its 20th-century branches in Italy, France, and Puerto Rico; by Héctor Andrés Negroni; Published in 1998, H.A. Negroni (Madison, AL); LCCN: 98119631, Dewey: 929/.2, LC: CS71.N386 1998
- "How to Booze: Exquisite Cocktails and Unsound Advice", Jordan Kaye (Author), Marshall Altier Marshall Altier (Author), Page 13, Publisher: Harper Paperbacks (May 18, 2010), ISBN 0-06-196330-5, ISBN 978-0-06-196330-8