Past in Different Ways
|Past In Different Ways|
|Studio album by Michael Kiske|
|Released||May 9, 2008|
|Genre||Rock, power metal, acoustic rock|
|Michael Kiske chronology|
Past in Different Ways is the fourth solo album of vocalist Michael Kiske. It features acoustic renditions of songs written by Kiske during his time in Helloween and one new track. This came as a surprise to fans, considering Kiske's desire to leave the world of Helloween and heavy metal behind him.
The album received a rather mixed critical support. Most reviewers were excited about the new acoustic arrangements and especially about Kiske's still powerful voice and wide vocal range. Other reviews criticized the album for the fact that it lacked any major innovative arrangements.
According to Michael Kiske, Past In Different Ways "on one hand shows that I don't reject my past just because I'm a different person today, and on the other hand it can maybe give people who were part of that past a different view at those songs. It's my music, I can still identify myself with its spirit...I generally brought each song down to its basics, threw out useless weight and sometimes changed the key to make them sound better as acoustics; and I was surprised how well they worked like that".
It was released on 9 May 2008 with cover art credited to Carl André Beckston.
- "You Always Walk Alone" - 4:25
- "We Got the Right" - 4:49
- "I Believe" - 7:45
- "Longing" - 4:09
- "Your Turn" - 5:59
- "Kids of the Century" - 4:24
- "In the Night" - 5:07
- "Going Home" - 3:30
- "A Little Time" - 3:57
- "When the Sinner" - 5:33
- "Different Ways" (new track) - 3:05
- Japanese bonus track
- "How the Web Was Woven" – 3:35
All songs by Michael Kiske, except "How the Web Was Woven" by David Most and Clive Westlake.
- Michael Kiske – vocals, guitar, keyboard
- Sandro Giampietro – guitar
- Fontaine Burnett – bass guitar
- Karsten Nagel – drums
- Hanmari Spiegel – violins, piano on track 10
- George Spiegel – accordion, trombone
- Benny Brown – trumpet on track 2
- Hardrock Haven review Archived September 24, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Dangerdog review
- "Official Michael Kiske Website - Interviews". Michael-kiske.de. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
-  Archived September 24, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "ALBUM REVIEW :: Michael Kiske - Past In Different Ways - 2008 - 2008 :: Album Reviews - Music Reviews - CD Reviews - Heavy Metal - Melodic Hard Rock - Hard Rock - AOR". Www.Dangerdog.Com. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Official Michael Kiske Website - Past In Different Ways". Michael-kiske.de. 2008-03-13. Retrieved 2012-03-05.