Patricia A. Shiu
|Patricia Ann Shiu|
Shiu in 2010
|Director of Federal Contract Compliance|
October 1, 2009 – December 1, 2016
|Preceded by||Charles James|
|Succeeded by||Thomas Dowd (Acting)|
|Spouse(s)||Michael Kamler |
|Children||Alexandra and Aviva Kamler|
|Residence||San Anselmo, California|
Patricia Ann Shiu is the current Director of Federal Contract Compliance from 2009 to today during the administration of Barack Obama. Prior to joining the Department of Labor, Shiu worked as Vice President for Programs at the Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center in San Francisco. She worked there for 26 years. Shiu also worked as an associate at the law firm of Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro.  
In 1982, Shiu received her J.D. from the University of San Francisco School of Law and in 1979, her B.A. in Political Economy of Industrialized States from the University of California, Berkeley. Born in Chicago, she is half Chinese and half Irish, and is the daughter of Joan Pierce Shiu  and Mr. Shiu.
As an attorney, Shiu specialized in employment discrimination and family and medical leave cases. While at the Legal Aid Society, Shiu served as the director of the Society’s Work and Family Project. In 1993, Shiu was appointed to the Department of Education’s Civil Rights Reviewing Authority.
Awards and honors
Patricia is "one of the country's feistiest and most relentless" Asian American litigators.— PAAWBAC praising Shiu for advancing the status of Asian and Pacific Islander women
Shiu has been the Treasurer for the Board of the National Employment Lawyers Association; a past president of the California Women Lawyers; a board member for California Rural Legal Assistance, NAPABA, and Asian American Bar Association (AABA).
She has received numerous honors for her work including the California Women’s Law Center’s 2002 Abby J. Leibman Pursuit of Justice Award and the Pacific Asian American Women Bay Area Coalition’s 2002 Woman Warrior Award. In 2009 she was recognized by the Asian American Law Society with its "Joe Morozumi Lifetime Achievement Award" for her "spirit of uncomprising legal advocacy in matters of conscience."
- "staff". Congregation Rodef Sholom. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Shiu Bio". National Employment Lawyers Association. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
- Jay Sumner (6 August 2009). "Patricia Shiu Chosen to Head the OFCCP". Littler Mendelson. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
- "Shiu". Chicago Tribune. 11 December 2001.
- Joan Shiu bio
- Patricia Shiu (Summer 2004). "Preserving Family" (PDF). Society. Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Cente. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 19, 2008. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
- "Patricia Shiu honored with 2002 Abby J. Leibman Pursuit of Justice Award and 2002 Woman Warrior Award". Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center. Archived from the original on July 25, 2008. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
- "Joe Morozumi Lifetime Achievement Award – 2005". aaba-bay.com. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
- "Profile: Patricia Shiu". whorunsgov.com. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
- "Profile: Patricia Shiu". Women's Legal History Biography Project. Retrieved 17 November 2009.