Patrick Hennessey (barrister)
Patrick Rupert Hennessey (born 1982) is a British barrister, author, journalist and former British Army officer.
Hennessey was educated at Berkhamsted School and Balliol College, Oxford. He attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 2004, and was the winner of the Queen’s Medal on his commissioning course.
From Sandhurst he was commissioned into the Grenadier Guards in January 2005. He was deployed to the Balkans, Africa, South East Asia, and the Falkland Islands, and saw active service in the Iraq War and Afghanistan. He retired from the army in 2009 with the rank of captain.
Hennessey reported as a special foreign correspondent for The Times and has written numerous newspaper, magazine and journal articles in the UK and the USA. Hennessey wrote and presented a documentary entitled Kipling’s Indian Adventure which was shown on BBC Two in February 2016.
The programme looked into Rudyard Kipling's early life and career in India. He has written two books, both of which are accounts of his time as a British Army officer. He is a member of the Royal United Services Institute and is a regular media commentator on defence and legal matters.
- The Junior Officers’ Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars (2009)
- Kandak (2012)
- "Patrick Hennessey profile". unitedagents.co.uk. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- "No. 57541". The London Gazette (Supplement). 25 January 2005. p. 834.
- "Former soldier tells of why he went to war in Iraq". Evening Standard. London, UK. 1 July 2009. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Patrick Hennessey Biography". Penguin Books.
- "39 Essex Chambers - Patrick Hennessey - 39 Essex Chambers". 39 Essex Chambers. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- Hennessey, Patrick (23 January 2011). "Once upon a life: Patrick Hennessey". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- BBC - Kipling's Indian Adventure; retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Mount, Harry (21 February 2016). "Why the long-held view of Kipling is just so wrong". The Telegraph. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Tonkin, Boyd (25 June 2009). "The Junior Officers' Reading Club". The Independent. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Edis, Rupert (11 September 2012). "Kandak by Patrick Hennessey: review". The Telegraph. Retrieved 12 April 2016.