Paul Andrew (designer)
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Paul Andrew is an English fashion designer, currently based in New York City. He launched his eponymous women's footwear line in September 2012. In October 2017 he was named the Women's Creative Director at Salvatore Ferragamo, after serving as the brands Women's Footwear Design Director since September 2016.
Paul Andrew graduated from the Berkshire College of Art and Design (now Reading College) where his senior collection was recognised by Vogue. This led him to an apprenticeship with Alexander McQueen. After spending several months in McQueen's atelier designing shoes, Andrew was introduced to Narciso Rodriguez through Vogue and subsequently moved to New York City to work with Rodriguez on his shoe and bag line. After several years with Rodriguez, he was brought onto Calvin Klein's team to design men's and women's shoes. After 3 years at Calvin Klein, he met Donna Karan, for whom he worked for ten years, eventually becoming the vice-president of Collection Accessories Design.
In September 2012, he launched his eponymous women's footwear brand. The collection was picked up in its first season by Saks Fifth Avenue and Barneys New York. Subsequently, the line was picked up for over 100 doors internationally including Colette, Bergdorf Goodman, and Lane Crawford. In 2015, as a part of his prize package for winning the Vogue Fashion Fund he launched a collaboration with J.Crew.
Paul Andrew shoes have a loyal following among Hollywood celebrities: Lupita Nyong'o, Emma Watson, and Jessica Chastain and Emmy Rossum have all worn several custom looks from the designer.
In September 2016, Andrew was named Women's Footwear Design Director at Salvatore Ferragamo. He is the first individual to hold this title in the brand's history. In February 2019, Andrew was appointed Creative Director of the Salvatore Ferragamo brand.
In 2013, Paul Andrew was awarded the "Launch of the Year" by Footwear News, and was awarded "Accessories Design of the Year" for the 2013 edition of "Who is on Next?" In November 2014, he won the 11th annual Council of Fashion Designers of America/Vogue Fashion Fund, becoming the first and youngest British footwear designer to win the competition. In March 2015, Paul Andrew was nominated for a CFDA Swarovski Award for Accessory Design. In June 2016, Paul Andrew was awarded the CFDA Swarovski Award for Accessory Design In August 2016, Paul Andrew's debut men's collection received an ACE Award for Brand Launch of the Year. In November 2016 Paul Andrew was honoured as Designer of the Year at the Footwear News Achievement Awards.
- Rachel Strugatz. "Paul Andrew Flies Solo". Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Yotka, Steff. "Paul Andrew Named Women's Footwear Design Director at Salvatore Ferragamo". Vogue. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- TRAVERS, ALEX. "WITH PRIZE MONEY FROM THE CFDA, SHOE DESIGNER PAUL ANDREW EYES EXPANSION". Fashionista. Fashionista. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Aniss, Elisa. "Award-winning shoe designer Paul Andrew". Financial Times. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Shah, Nausheen (4 September 2014). "Celebs are head over heels for Paul Andrew's stunning shoes". New York Post. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Abel, Katie (4 November 2014). "Shoe Designer Paul Andrew's Defining Moments". Footwear News. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Jessica Chastain and CFDA Winner Paul Andrew Are Ideal Party Dates". Vogue. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- Henning, Kristen. "Emmy Rossum Answers FN's 3 Questions". Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- Henning, Kristen. "Stylist Micaela Erlanger on Paul Andrew's Biggest Red Carpet Hits". Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- Watson, Emma. "Emma Watson on Her Personal Style". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- Lidbury, Olivia (4 November 2014). "5 reasons why a pair of Paul Andrews should be your next designer shoes – Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph. London. Archived from the original on 10 July 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Paul Andrew Is the Winner of the 2014 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund". Vogue. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Abel, Katie. "Tabitha Simmons, Paul Andrew Nab CFDA Nominations". Footwear News. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Friedmann, Vanessa. "At CFDAs, a Night of No Surprises, Until Beyoncé Showed Up". The New York Times. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Honorees | Accessories Council". accessoriescouncil.org. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Allaire, Christian (29 November 2016). "How Paul Andrew Grew His Empire in Only Four Years". Footwear News. Retrieved 30 January 2017.