Paul Dean (minister)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paul Dean (1789–1860) was a 19th-century universalist minister. He was pastor in Boston, Massachusetts, of the First Universalist Church on Hanover Street (ca.1813) and the Central Universalist Church on Bulfinch Street (1823–1840).
- Homans. Sketches of Boston, Past and Present. 1851
- Bowen's Picture of Boston. 1838.
Works by Dean
- A sermon preached before the Ancient and Honourable Artillery Company on the 177th anniversary of their election of officers Boston, June 3, 1816.
- A eulogy delivered in Boylston Hall, Boston at the request of the Masonic, Handel and Haydn, and Philharmonic Societies, August 19, 1819, on the character of their late friend and brother Thomas Smith Webb, Esq.
- A discourse delivered before the African Society, at their meeting-house, in Boston, Mass. on the abolition of the slave trade by the government of the United States of America, July 14, 1819. Boston: Nathaniel Coverly, 1819.
- A sermon, delivered at the installation of the Rev. Hosea Ballou, 2d: to the pastoral care and charge of the First Universalist Society, in Roxbury, July 26, 1821.
- 120 Reasons for Being a Universalist. 1827.
- A discourse delivered at the annual election, January 4, 1832, before His Excellency Levi Lincoln, governor, His Honor Thomas L. Winthrop, lieutenant governor, the honorable Council, and the legislature of Massachusetts.
- A course of lectures in defence of the final restoration: delivered in the Bulfinch street church, Boston, in the winter of 1832.
Works about Dean
- Joseph Walker. A glance at Dean's 120 reasons for being a Universalist. 1828.
- John T. Heard, An Historical Account of Columbian Lodge (1856).
- Joseph Sabin, ed. (1873). "Dean". Bibliotheca Americana. 5. New York. OCLC 13972268.
- Lemuel Willis, "Paul Dean," The Universalist (Apr 10, 1875).
- John G. Adams, Fifty Notable Years (1883).
- Peter Hughes, "A Different Treatise on Atonement: The Theology of Paul Dean," Unitarian Universalist Christian (Spr/Sum 1994).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paul Dean.|