Paul Green (footballer, born 1987)
|Full name||Paul Michael Green|
|Date of birth||15 April 1987|
|Place of birth||Birmingham, England|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Playing position||Defender / Midfielder|
|2012–2014||Forest Green Rovers||43||(2)|
|2013||→ Hereford United (loan)||7||(0)|
|2014||Tamworth (caretaker assistant)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 May 2017 (UTC).
Born in Birmingham, Green started his career as a professional at Aston Villa progressing from the youth ranks. He made it into the Villa squad for pre-season friendlies in the summer of 2006, but was soon released on a free transfer.
Paul Green was signed by John Schofield for Lincoln City on 22 January 2007 on the same day as Dany N'Guessan. Green scored his first goal for Imps in the 2006/7 season in a 1–1 draw with Hartlepool United. He enjoyed impressive displays during the 2007/8 season, winning the Lincoln City Player of the Year, Players Player and Website Player of the Year awards. He scored his second Lincoln goal in a 2–1 victory at Morecambe towards the end of the season.
Following The Imps relegation to the Conference National, Green was linked with a move back into league football with Oxford United. However, a few days later Green was not offered a new contract with Lincoln City and released.
Forest Green Rovers
On 6 July 2012, Paul Green joined Forest Green Rovers on a two-year deal. After suffering an injury in pre-season, Green found his debut delayed as he missed the first two months of the campaign. Green eventually made his Forest Green Rovers debut on 9 October 2012, against the team he had left the following campaign, Tamworth, with his new club been defeated 2-1 at home to his old club. Green settled into the club soon after, and went on to pick up three man-of-the-match awards in his first six games.
Following his return from loan with Hereford United, Green returned to the first team and even netted his first goal for Forest Green Rovers against his former club Lincoln City on 16 November 2013 in a 4–1 win. On 28 April 2014, it was announced that he had been released by the club along with nine other players.
Hereford United (loan)
On 29 August 2013, Green joined up with Conference National rivals Hereford United on a one-month loan deal. Paul made his Hereford United debut two days later in a 2–1 win over Welling United. After making seven league appearances, his month-long spell with Hereford United came to and end and he returned to Forest Green Rovers.
It was announced on 8 July 2014 that Paul Green had returned to his former club Tamworth of the Conference North. Following a disappointing start to the season, manager Dale Belford left the club, Green was asked to perform the role of caretaker assistant manager, working alongside Rob Purdie, who took on the role of caretake manager. The pair only led the team for one game, a 1-1 home draw with Colwyn Bay.
Statistics accurate as of match played 26 April 2014.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2006–07||Lincoln City||League Two||17||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||17||1|
|2012–13||Forest Green Rovers||20||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||22||0|
|2013–14||Hereford United (loan)||7||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||7||0|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. p. 172. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- "Imps snap up N'Guessan and Green". BBC Sport. 23 January 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2007.
- "Oxford United could make a move for Lincoln City defender Paul Green". ThisIsLincolnshire.co.uk. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Steve Tilson clears out Lincoln City squad". BBC Sport. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Mills signs loan deal". Tamworth F.C. Official Website. 5 August 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Barrow 1–1 Tamworth". BBC Sport. 13 August 2011. Retrieved 13 August 2011.
- "Forest Green Rovers bring in defender Paul Green". BBC Sport. 6 July 2012.
- "Forest Green 1–2 Tamworth". BBC Sport. 9 October 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- "Forest Green 4–1 Lincoln City". BBC Sport. 16 November 2013.
- "Yan Klukowski exits with nine players". BBC Sport. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Paul Green: Hereford United sign Forest Green's utility man". BBC Sport. 29 August 2013.
- "Hereford 2–1 Welling". BBC Sport. 31 August 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Former Aston Villa defender makes Lambs return". BBC Sport. 8 July 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Tamworth FC injuries and suspensions will test caretaker Purdie". Tamworth Herald. 18 September 2014.
- "Purdie reflects of Tamworth FC draw". Tamworth Herald. 22 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paul Green (footballer born 1987).|
- Paul Green at Soccerbase