|William Paul Joseph McCrossan|
|Member of Parliament
for York—Scarborough (2nd time)
|Preceded by||Paul Cosgrove|
|Succeeded by||Jim Karygiannis|
|Member of Parliament
for York—Scarborough (1st time)
|Preceded by||Robert Stanbury|
|Succeeded by||Paul Cosgrove|
May 20, 1942 |
|Political party||Progressive Conservative|
McCrossan was born in Toronto. An actuary by profession, McCrossan has served as president of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries. He was employed by Canada Life Assurance prior to being elected to the House of Commons.
He represented the riding of York—Scarborough as a Progressive Conservative from 1978, when he was elected in a by-election until his defeat in the 1980 general election. As an MP, he introduced a private member's bill, Bill C-255, the Public Pensions Reporting Act, which passed unanimously. He also supported the passage of the Non-smokers' Rights Act, which was introduced by a New Democratic Party member of parliament, Lynn McDonald.
From 1995 to 1996, he was president of the International Actuarial Association. In 2001, he was named to the Standards Advisory Council of the International Accounting Standards Committee. He was a consulting actuary and partner at Eckler Partners Ltd., now known as Eckler Ltd. He served on the advisory committee for Sir Derek Morris's review of the actuarial profession in the United Kingdom, known as the Morris Review.
|Canadian federal election, 2000: Scarborough East|
|Progressive Conservative||Paul McCrossan||6,284||15.65||$26,016|
|New Democratic||Denise Lake||1,884||4.69||$4,973|
|Canadian Action||Dave Glover||292||0.73||none listed|
|Total valid votes||40,151||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||155|
|Electors on the lists||72,092|
|Sources: Official Results, Elections Canada and Financial Returns, Elections Canada.|
- "Public Pensions Reporting Act (1985, c. 13 (2nd Supp.))". Canada Department of Justice - Statutes by Title. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Brown, M. David R. (October 1999). "The Public Role of Actuaries in Private Pensions in Canada - 7. The Public Pensions Reporting Act" (PDF). North American Actuarial Journal. Society of Actuaries. 3 (4): 28. doi:10.1080/10920277.1999.10595856. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- McCrossan, Paul (Winter 1990–1991). "Parliament and the Private Member". Canadian Parliamentary Review. 13 (4). Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Randall, Robert F. (2001-08-01). "IASC Names Advisory Council.(International Accounting Standards Committee)". Strategic Finance. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- "Review of actuarial profession.". Morris Review via M2 Presswire. October 1, 2004. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Pension task force members named, Government of New Brunswick, Justice and Consumer Affairs, 7 December 2010.