|Born||Paulene Elenora Myers
November 9, 1913
Ocilla, Georgia, U.S.
|Died||December 8, 1996
Chester, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Paulene Elenora Myers (November 9, 1913 – December 8, 1996) was an American actress. She was a pioneer among African–American actors who performed on Broadway stage and appeared on many television series throughout her long career. Myers career spanned over six decades.
Early life and career
Born in Ocilla, Georgia. Myers was the daughter of Zachariah and Annie Bembow Myers, her family relocated to East Orange, New Jersey when she was a child. She studied acting at the New York Theatre School and the Actors Studio West in Beverly Hills, California. Myers made her Broadway debut in 1933 in"Growin' Pains". She was also featured in Broadway and national companies of major productions like "A Member of the Wedding", "Anna Lucasta" and "The Blacks."
Amongst the many roles she played, some of her most notable roles were Mrs. Ward on the NBC-TV daytime soap opera "Days of Our Lives", and Judge Pittman, the star of a TV special, "I'll See You in Court;" Judge Morrisey from the ABC-TV soap General Hospital, and a guest appearance as Judge Mackenzie in an episode of All in the Family titled "Archie's Civil Rights", and Grandma Jane on the CBS variety/comedy series The Tony Orlando & Dawn Show. Myers also appeared with fellow veteran black actor Richard Ward as Grandpa Evans's new ladyfriend, Lena on the CBS sitcom series Good Times, as well as roles on Sanford and Son, The San Pedro Beach Bums, The Cosby Show, The Jeffersons, and Gunsmoke.
Personal life and death
Myers, who, for 35 years, lived in both Southern California where she resided for 23 of those years, and then in New York City, eventually settled in Chester, Pennsylvania, and died there, having lived there for the final two years of her life. She was interred and is buried in Chester Rural Cemetery.
- Boomerang (1947) - Maid (uncredited)
- Something of Value (1957) - Kikuyu Woman (uncredited)
- Tarzan's Fight for Life (1958) - Native Mother (uncredited)
- How to Make a Monster (1958) - Millie - the pedestrian
- Take a Giant Step (1959) - Violet
- All the Fine Young Cannibals (1960) - Nurse (uncredited)
- To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Jesse - Dubose Servant Girl (uncredited)
- Honeymoon Hotel (1964) - Hogan - Ross's Secretary
- Shock Treatment (1964) - Dr. Walden
- Fate Is the Hunter (1964) - Mother (uncredited)
- Dear Heart (1964) - Florist
- I'll Take Sweden (1965) - Eloise (uncredited)
- The Third Day (1965) - Hannah - the Maid (uncredited)
- Fitzwilly (1967) - Oberblatz' Secretary (uncredited)
- Winning (1969) - Cleaning Woman (uncredited)
- The Lost Man (1969) - Grandma
- The Comic (1969) - Phoebe
- ...tick...tick...tick... (1970) - Mrs. Harley
- Black Chariot (1971)
- La cavale (1971)
- Lady Sings the Blues (1972) - Mrs. Edson
- Maurie (1973) - Rosie
- The Sting (1973) - Alva Coleman
- Lost in the Stars (1974) - Grace
- Armaguedon (1977)
- Bloodbrothers (1978) - Mrs. Pitt
- Deux (1989) - Nina Walkowicz
- My Cousin Vinny (1992) - Constance Riley (final film role)