Pedro Varela Geiss
Pedro Varela Geiss
Varela in an interview
|Alma mater||University of Barcelona|
Pedro Varela Geiss (born 9 October 1957) is a Spanish librarian, writer, revisionist historian, and Holocaust denier. He was the owner of a Neo-Nazi bookstore in Barcelona that is now closed, and he describes himself as a National Socialist inspired by Hitler. He was also the former President of the disbanded Neo-Nazi group CEDADE, to which Belgian Nazi collaborator Leon Degrelle belonged.
In 1992, he spent three months in pre-trial detention in Austria for a Nazi speech he gave, but was acquitted. After the end of CEDADE, he opened the bookstore Libreria Europa (Spanish for "Europe Bookstore") in Barcelona, from which he promoted pro-Nazi speeches, conferences, lectures, and books on anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. In 1998, he was sentenced to five years in prison for justifying genocide, due to the Holocaust denial material he sold at his store.
In 2010, he was sentenced to two years and nine months in prison for the felony of "disseminating genocidal ideals". He was released from prison on March 8, 2012. He went back to run his bookstore. However, on July 2016, his library was closed under the accusation that it incites "hate speech", "racial discrimination", etc.
- "El nazi Varela siembra cruces gamadas en prisión | Edición impresa | EL PAÍS". Elpais.com. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- Stephen E. Atkins. Holocaust Denial as an International Movement. Books.google.es. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- Hermann Kurthen; Werner Bergmann; Rainer Erb (1997-05-29). Antisemitism and Xenophobia in Germany After Unification. Books.google.es. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Is Europe on the "Right" Path?" (PDF). Library.fes.de. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- Andrea Mammone; Emmanuel Godin; Brian Jenkins (2012-05-16). Mapping the Extreme Right in Contemporary Europe: From Local to Transnational. Books.google.es. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Dos años y nueves meses de cárcel para el neonazi Pedro Varela | Actualidad | EL PAÍS". Elpais.com. 2010-03-08. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Sale en libertad el dueño de la filonazi Librería Europa tras cumplir 15 meses de cárcel | Barcelona". Elmundo.es. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Revista de Claseshistoria : Publicación digital de Historia y Ciencias Sociales : Artículo Nº 293" (PDF). Claseshistoria.com. 2012-04-15. ISSN 1989-4988. Retrieved 2016-12-03.