|Industry||Protective cases, luggage, lighting|
|Founder||Arline Parker, David Parker|
President and CEO
Chief Financial Officer
|Products||Backpacks, coolers, luggage, drinkware, protective cases, flashlights, consumer electronics covers, temperature controlled packaging, portable area lighting|
Number of employees
Pelican Products is an American multinational company that designs and manufactures portable lighting systems, temperature controlled packaging and protective cases. Their products are used in many industries including military, law enforcement, fire safety, and consumer entertainment. Pelican is based in Torrance, California and operates offices internationally.
Pelican Products was founded in Torrance, California, in 1976 by David and Arline Parker as a mail-order home business. It was David Parker's desire to "develop unique and practical products for the dive market."
- The Pelican Dive Float is introduced
- The Pelican Protector case is introduced
- 1981 - 1984
- The Pelican SabreLite introduced to the dive market
- Pelican products receive their first safety approvals
- 1989 - 1995
- Molding operations brought in-house
- Company moves to their Early Avenue, Torrance headquarters
- 1996 - 1999
- Peli Products, S.A., their headquarters in Europe opens in Barcelona, Spain
- The Pelican 1650 case is introduced
- 2000 - 2005
- Pelican Products, ULC in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada opens
- Pelican Micro Case series launches
- Pelican receives ISO9000:2001 certification
- First European Safety Approvals issued to Peli flashlights
- A private equity investment firm, Behrman Capital, paid about $200 million for Pelican Products 
- 2006 - 2007
- Behrman Capital announced that Lyndon J. Faulkner was named CEO 
- The Pelican 7060 flashlight is introduced after being developed with the Los Angeles Police Department
- Pelican Japan and China open
- Company surpasses 100 million in sales
- Canadian Royal Armed Forces contracts Pelican to build the special MOB "Mobile Operations Box" case
- Their largest injection molding machine (code named "Colossus") is installed at the Torrance, CA plant
- The Pelican i1010/i1030 Micro Case seires is launched
- Pelican's first robot (code named "T-Rex") is installed in their Torrance, CA plant
- Pelican Products purchased their largest Australian distributor and opened Pelican Australia 
- Pelican Products makes Inc. Magazine's 5000 list for the second year
- The company purchased portable LED area lighting manufacturer Bluei UK 
- General Peter Pace becomes Pelican's chairman of the board
- The 9430 Remote Area Lighting System debuts
- Pelican Products announced the acquisition of long-time competitor, Hardigg Industries of South Deerfield, Massachusetts, the world’s largest manufacturer of rotationally molded protective cases 
- Pelican lands an $80 million contract to create the General Mechanics Tool Kit for the U.S. Military
- The Pelican 1090 HardBack case is introduced
- Pelican's Chairman of the Board, Peter Pace initiates the Pelican For Patriots program which provides cases for wounded military veterans to protect their prosthetic
- Pelican sends coolers, flashlights and cases to aid in the Haiti disaster rescue and recovery
- Pelican introduces Advanced Case Solutions line for custom case applications
- Pelican is certified as a Sony Green Partner
- Pelican introduces the 1460 EMS case for the emergency and fire safety markets
- Pelican purchased Australian roto-mold case manufacturer Trimcast 
- Pelican India and South Korea open
- Pelican wins the National Institute of Packaging Handling and Logistics Engineers (NIPHLE) 2011 Corporation of the Year award
- Pelican receives the Presidential "E" award for exports
- 2014 - 20015
- Pelican introduces the Pelican 7000 flashlight, their first to shine up to 600 lumens
- Pelican introduces Pelican Elite luggage
- Pelican acquires Cool Logistics and re-brands the combined division (Minnesota Thermal Science + Cool Logistics) as Pelican BioThermal
- 2016 - 2017
- Pelican celebrates its 40th anniversary
- Pelican introduces their Pelican Air Case line
- Pelican introduces Pelican Traveler tumblers
- Peli BioThermal wins the Queen's Award for Innovation
- 2018 - 2019
- Peli BioThermal wins the Queen's Award for Enterprise
- Pelican introduces the "Vault by Pelican" line as a brand extension to its case line
- Pelican launches its first e-commerce site at www.pelican.com/shop
- Pelican acquires NanoCool, a temperature-controlled packaging manufacturer.
Pelican cases are molded plastic containers that seal with an airtight and watertight gasket. Pelican cases include a barometric relief valve made of Gore-Tex to prevent pressure damage to the case during transportation or when the air pressure in the environment changes. Pelican cases meet standards for waterproofing, stacking, impact, and durability including MIL-STD C4150-J for waterproofing, IEC IP67 rating indicating complete sealing against dust and water immersion to 1 metre, as well as ATA 300 rating indicating compliance with Air Transport Association standards for durability in shipping. Pelican cases feature a lifetime guarantee. In Europe, they are sold as Peli cases.
If the case falls into water, generally there will be enough air in the case to keep it afloat. The barometric relief valve permits air to pass through, but not water or other liquids. Under some extreme conditions leakage is technically possible, but such conditions are unlikely to be encountered, except in the case of deliberate vandalism.
Pelican Products also manufactures customized rotationally molded cases built for specialized sensitive equipment protection. The cases can be modified with features including internal shock-mount systems, manual pressure relief valves, humidity indicators, custom foam, and fabricated metal framing for electronics. Pelican Products also runs a series of Advanced Case Centers in California, Virginia, Massachusetts, Canada, France, United Kingdom, and Australia that handle customization and design work for their cases.
Temperature Controlled Packaging
Pelican's BioThermal division offers passive temperature-controlled products and service solutions including single-use and reusable parcels, single use and reusable pallets and rental programs for the pharmaceutical industry.
Pelican flashlights (known as Pelican Lights) use Xenon, Halogen, and LED lamps. Many are safety approved with features such as valves, anti-shock systems, and battery polarity guards. The safety approvals include ETL (Edison Testing Labs), UL (Underwriters Laboratories), FM (Factory Mutual), CE-EX (ATEX Europe), CSA (Canadian Standards Association), MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration) and the AUS (Australian Board of Approvals). The company also manufactures a line of LED tactical flashlights geared toward the law enforcement community.
Travel Goods and Drinkware
Pelican manufactures a line of backpacks, duffel bags, travel-themed cases, double-walled tumblers and bottles aimed toward travelers.
Remote area lighting
Pelican's Advanced Area Lighting Group (AALG) designs and manufactures a variety of battery powered, remote area lighting solutions (RALS). These range from single head, hand held units to deployable units with up to four separate LED heads, as well as tent lighting. Rapid setup and long run times for emergency responders, military, maintenance workers, and others.
- "Pelican Products proves as durable as the storage cases it makes".www.latimes.com. 2012-April-29. Retrieved 2013-07-17
- "BEHRMAN CAPITAL ACQUIRES PELICAN™ PRODUCTS, INC. IN $200 MILLION TRANSACTION". (Press Release). Behrman Capital. 2004 October 26. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Pelican Products Founder Retires, Faulkner Named New CEO, (Press Release), www.flashlightnews.com, 2006-08-16, Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "LAPD's blinding new flashlights too light to beat suspects". www.engadget.com. 2 April 2007. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Pelican™ Products makes first-ever acquisition by acquiring Australian distributor, 2008-04-08, Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- Pelican establishes Advanced Area Lighting Group, www.fireengineering.com, 2008-06-08, Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- Pelican Products Buys Hardigg Industries, www.mdm.com, 2009-01-09, Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- Pelican Acquires Trimcast, www.growthbusiness.co.uk, 2011-04-05, Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- A Product With Devotees Tries to Widen Its Niche, www.nytimes.com, 2012-08-05, Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- Pelican acquires Minnesota Thermal Science, www.healthcarepackaging.com, 01-14-2013, Retrieved 2013-09-20
- "Pelican Products, Inc. accelerates its BioPharma strategy with the acquisition of Cool Logistics". www.heathcarepackaging.com. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "Technical Summary - Classified Locations". www.ul.com. Underwriter Laboratories. Archived from the original on 2013-09-05. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "List of Approved Products" (PDF). www.msha.gov. September 2001. Retrieved 2013-09-16.