Pennsylvania Route 832
|Maintained by PennDOT|
|Length:||11.157 mi (17.955 km)|
|Existed:||1928 – present|
|South end:||PA 98 in Fairview Township|
| I-90 in McKean Township
US 20 in Millcreek Township
PA 5 in Millcreek Township
|North end:||Presque Isle State Park|
Pennsylvania Route 832 (PA 832), known locally as Sterrettania Road and Peninsula Drive, is a state highway located in Erie County, Pennsylvania. Its northern terminus is at the entrance to Presque Isle State Park in Erie. The southern terminus is at PA 98, two miles (3 km) west of Sterrettania in Fairview Township. PA 832 has junctions with U.S. Route 20 (US 20), PA 5 and PA 5 Alternate (PA 5 Alt.). PA 832 is exit 18 off Interstate 90 (I-90). PA 832 was designated in 1928 between PA 99 (now PA 5 Alt.) and Presque Isle. The route was extended south to US 20 by 1940. PA 832 was further extended to I-90 by 1959 and PA 98 by 1970.
PA 832 begins at an intersection with PA 98 south of I-90 exit 16 in Fairview Township. The route continues east as two-lane undivided Sterrettania Road through a mix of farmland and woodland with some homes, paralleling I-90. The route enters McKean Township and passes through Sterrettania before turning to the northeast and interchanging with I-90 at exit 18. PA 832 continues to the northeast, entering Millcreek Township, a western suburb of the city of Erie, from the southwest. Within Millcreek Township, PA 832 passes residential development and intersects West 38th Street and West 32nd Street, among other roadways, before intersecting US 20 (West 26th Street). At US 20, PA 832 switches names from Sterrettania Road to Peninsula Drive and turns to the northwest toward the Lake Erie shoreline.
North of US 20, PA 832 becomes a five-lane road with a center left-turn lane and crosses CSX Transportation's Erie West Subdivision and Norfolk Southern Railway's Lake Erie District via the Arthur F. Deitsch Memorial Bridge. The road runs through an industrial area prior to a junction with PA 5 (West 12th Street). The highway passes homes and businesses and crosses PA 5 Alt. (West 8th Street/West Lake Road) near the lakeshore. PA 832 continues north past Waldameer Park, where the Ravine Flyer II goes over the route, connecting the amusement park to a small hill to the east. Past this, the road reaches Presque Isle State Park, located on a peninsula protruding into Lake Erie north of the city. While Peninsula Road continues north onto the peninsula and into the park, the PA 832 designation terminates at the entrance to the park.
When Pennsylvania first legislated routes in 1911, what is now PA 832 was not given a number. PA 832 was formed in 1928, stretching from PA 99 (now PA 5 Alt.) to Presque Isle. By 1940, the southern terminus of the route was at US 20 west of Erie. In 1959, PA 832 was extended from US 20 to the new I-90 (the Erie Throughway) in order to provide access to Erie and Presque Isle for motorists coming from the west and also to serve the western suburbs of Erie. By 1970, the southern terminus was moved to its current location at PA 98.
The entire route is in Erie County.
|Fairview Township||0.000||0.000||PA 98 (Avonia Road) – Fairview, Lavery|
|McKean Township||3.135||5.045||I-90 – Erie, Cleveland||Exit 18 (I-90)|
|Millcreek Township||8.956||14.413||US 20 (West 26th Street)|
|9.862||15.871||PA 5 (West 12th Street)|
PA 5 Alt. (West 8th Street) / LECT
|11.157||17.955||Peninsula Drive – Presque Isle State Park|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Bureau of Maintenance and Operations (January 2015). Roadway Management System Straight Line Diagrams (Report) (2015 ed.). Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- Erie County (PDF)
- Google (August 11, 2015). "overview of Pennsylvania Route 832" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Erie County, Pennsylvania Highway Map (PDF) (Map). PennDOT. 2014. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Map of Pennsylvania Showing State Highways (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1911. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- Map of Pennsylvania (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1928. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- Tourist Map of Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1930. Retrieved September 12, 2007.
- Erie County Map (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1941. Retrieved 2007-09-12.
- Official Road Map of Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1940. Retrieved September 12, 2007.
- "Route 832 Extension Approved". The Oil City Derrick. February 21, 1959. p. 28. Retrieved August 11, 2015 – via Newspapers.com.
- Official Map of Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1960. Retrieved September 12, 2007.
- Official Map of Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1970. Retrieved September 12, 2007.
Route map: Google
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pennsylvania Route 832.|