Perry A. Frey
Perry A. Frey
|Born||November 14, 1935 (age 83)|
|Alma mater||The Ohio State University|
|Known for||Enzyme kinetics and mechanism|
|Awards||Alexander von Humboldt Senior Scientist Award, Repligen Corporation Award in Chemistry of Biological Processes|
|Doctoral advisor||Robert H. Abeles|
Perry A. Frey (born 1935) is professor emeritus of biochemistry at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1998. Research in his laboratory centered on the elucidation of enzymatic reaction mechanisms.
Early life and education
Frey was born in Plain City, Ohio in 1935. He served in the military for two years before attending The Ohio State University, where he earned his B.S. degree in chemistry in 1959. Frey earned his Ph.D. in biochemistry from Brandeis University in 1968.
During the time between his undergraduate and graduate studies, Frey worked for the Public Health Service. After earning his Ph.D., he worked as a postdoctoral fellow for enzymologist Frank Westheimer at Harvard University. Frey then secured a faculty position in the Chemistry Department at the Ohio State University. He held that position for several years, but in 1981 he joined the faculty at the Institute for Enzyme Research (now a part of the Biochemistry Department) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Frey, Perry A.; Hegeman, Adrian D. (January 28, 2007). Enzymatic Reaction Mechanisms. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-512258-9.
Honors and awards
- 1995 - Alexander von Humboldt Senior Scientist Award
- 1998 - Elected to the National Academy of Sciences
- 1998 - American Chemical Society Division of Biological Chemistry's Repligen Corporation Award in Chemistry of Biological Processes
- 2003 - Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2003 - Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2007 - Hilldale Award
- Biochemistry Department (2010). "Perry A Frey faculty page". University of Wisconsin. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- Kresge, Nicole; Robert D. Simoni; Robert L. Hill (21 August 2009). "Multienzyme Complexes and Hydrogen Transfer: the Work of Perry Frey". The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 284 (34): e11–e12. ISSN 0021-9258. PMC 2755723. PMID 19777672.
- Goodman C (August 2009). "Perry Frey". Nat. Chem. Biol. 5 (8): 534. doi:10.1038/nchembio0809-534. PMID 19620990.