Vern L. Schramm
|Vern L. Schramm|
Prof. Schramm in his office at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, April 2004
|Born||November 9, 1941 (age 76)
Howard, South Dakota
|Alma mater||South Dakota State University|
|Known for||Enzyme kinetics, Kinetic isotope effect|
|Awards||Rudi Lemberg Award, Repligen Award|
|Doctoral advisor||John F. Morrison|
Vern L. Schramm (born November 9, 1941) is a Professor & Ruth Merns Chair in Biochemistry at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. Schramm was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2007. His laboratory's research focuses on the elucidation of enzymatic mechanisms and transition state structure.
This information is then used for the logical design of transition-state inhibitors which have the potential to be new biologically active agents. Some of these are in development to be drugs. Schramm's work has translated basic chemical understanding at the quantum mechanical level to a new approach to drug development.
Schramm earned his bachelor's degree from South Dakota State College, now South Dakota State University. He earned his master's degree in nutrition from Harvard University and his Ph.D. in the mechanism of enzyme action from the Australian National University.
Schramm secured a postdoctoral position at the NASA Ames Research Center after graduation. Later he joined the Temple University School of Medicine as a faculty member. In 1987 he joined the faculty at Albert Einstein College of Medicine as professor and chair of the biochemistry department.
Awards and distinctions
- 1999 - Rudi Lemberg Award from the Australian Academy of Science
- 2006 - Repligen Corporation Award in Chemistry of Biological Processes from the Biological Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society
- Harry Eagle Award for Outstanding Basic Science Teaching from Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- George A. Sowell Award for Excellence in Teaching from Temple University School of Medicine
- "Einstein Faculty: Vern L. Schramm, Ph.D". Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- "Vern L Schramm - ComBio 2009, Christchurch, New Zealand". Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- "Einstein's Dr. Vern Schramm elected to the National Academy of Sciences". Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- "Einstein's Dr. Vern Schramm elected to the National Academy of Sciences". Bio-Medicine. May 1, 2007. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- Schramm VL (2011). "Enzymatic transition states, transition-state analogs, dynamics, thermodynamics, and lifetimes". Annual Review of Biochemistry. 80: 703–32. doi:10.1146/annurev-biochem-061809-100742. PMID 21675920.
- "Rudi Lemberg Fellow". Australian Academy of Science. January–April 2000. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- "Vern L. Schramm, PhD Biographical Sketch" (PDF). Ann Arbor, MI. 2009. p. 4. Retrieved 18 January 2010.