Pet Sitters International
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pet Sitters International (PSI) is an educational association for professional pet sitters located in King, North Carolina. The professional pet-sitting association represents nearly 7,000 independent professionals.
Pet Sitters International was established in 1994 by Patti Moran, author of Pet Sitting for Profit.
In 2016, Pet Sitters International received the Torch Award for Ethics from the Better Business Bureau of Northwest North Carolina.
Pet sitting is defined as "the act of caring for a pet in its own home while the owner is away." Dog walking is considered to be a form of pet sitting as well since it involves coming to the pet's home to provide exercise and companionship. Caring for pets in the clients’ homes is what separates pet sitters from boarders and dog daycare.
Pet Sitters International offers United States and Canadian members pet-sitter liability insurance.
The organization provides educational resources to its members, including free member webinars, e-books, monthly e-newsletters, and a subscription to their bimonthly magazine. It offers a certification program to become a Certified Professional Pet Sitter. It offers members discounts on business tools including pet-sitter software, background checks and staffing/hiring tools, and maintains an online directory of professional pet sitters that pet owners can search at no cost.
- In 1997, Pet Sitters International successfully campaigned to have "pet sitting" added to the Random House Dictionary.
- In 1999, Pet Sitters International created Take Your Dog to Work Day. It is celebrated the Friday following Father's Day.
- In 2010, Pet Sitters International partnered with Garfield to promote professional pet sitting.
- Sturiale, Jeanne (March 19, 2004). "Popularity of In-Home Pet Care Helps King, N.C., Pet Sitters Group Grow". Winston-Salem Journal.
- "Pet Sitters International Wins a 2016 Torch Award for Ethics". www.petbusiness.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "Business Insurers of the Carolinas - Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27515". www.psi-ins.com. Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- Gold, Meagan (June 20, 2002). "Pet Sitters International Promotes 'Take Your Dog to Work Day'". Harrisburg Patriot-News.
- Monitor, Jennifer (July 19, 1999). "Working in the company of canines; More employers open doors to pets of all kinds, saying benefits outweigh concerns". Christian Science Monitor. Archived from the original on October 22, 2012.