September 22, 1956 |
Cleveland, Mississippi, U.S.
|Alma mater||Mississippi College|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1978–1979||Clinton H.S. (DC)|
|1981–1981||Clinton H.S. (OC)|
|1981–1982||North Texas (RB)|
|1982–1983||Southeast Missouri State (LB)|
|1991–1992||Birmingham Fire (DL)|
|2005–2006||Air Force (OL)|
|2007–2010||Center Hill H.S.|
|2011–2013||Northwest Rankin H.S.|
|Head coaching record|
Pete Hurt (born September 22, 1956) is a high school and former college football head coach. Since April 2011, Hurt has served as the head coach at Northwest Rankin High School in Flowood, Mississippi. He previously served as head coach at Clinton and Center Hill High Schools in Mississippi as well as at Samford from 1994 through 2001.
After he graduated from Mississippi College, in 1978 Hurt began his coaching career. After he served as an assistant coach at Clinton High School from 1978 through 1981, Hurt landed his first college assistant position with North Texas for the 1981 season. Between 1981 and 1991, Hurt served as an assistant at Southeast Missouri State, Baylor, Lamar and Rice. In 1992, Hunt joined the staff of the Birmingham Fire of the World League of American Football where he served as defensive line coach for both seasons the team was in existence. After the Fire folded, Hurt accepted an assistant coaching position at Nicholls State before quickly resigning to take the defensive coordinator position at Samford under former Fire head coach Chan Gailey.
After a single season as defensive coordinator, Hurt was promoted to head coach for the 1994 season after Gailey left to take an assistant coaching position in the NFL. He was later fired midseason during the 2001 campaign after a 1–4 start. During his eight seasons with the Bulldogs, Hurt led Samford to an overall record of 42 wins, 39 losses and one tie (42–39–1).
From Samford, Hurt returned to serve as head coach at Clinton High School for three years before he became the offensive line coach at Air Force. After two years with the Falcons, Hunt returned to Mississippi to serve as head coach at Center Hill High School from 2007 through 2010 when he resigned to serve as head coach at Northwest Rankin High School. In December 2013 Hurt resigned from Northwest Rankin High School position of Head Coach and Athletic Director after two losing seasons. His successor,Tyler Peterson was named weeks later.
Head coaching record
|Samford Bulldogs (I-AA Independent) (1994–2001)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
- "Player bio: Pete Hurt". GoAirForceFalcons.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Hurt resigns post as Nicholls assistant". The Advocate. Baton Rouge, Louisiana: NewsLibrary. January 13, 1993. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Sparks backs out, Samford names Hurt". TimesDaily. Florence, Alabama: Google News. Associated Press. February 2, 1994. p. 2C. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Samford fires football coach". The Gadsden Times. Gadsden, Alabama: Google News. Associated Press. October 18, 2001. p. B4. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "All-Time Results". 2011 Samford Football Media Guide. Homewood, Alabama: Samford University Sports Information. 2011. p. 153.
- "Hurt takes over as O-line coach at Air Force". ESPN.com. Associated Press. February 15, 2005. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Recek, Travis (April 4, 2011). "NW Rankin names new coach". FOX 40. Retrieved August 3, 2012.