|Born||1948 (age 67–68)
|Occupation||Art historian, writer|
Born in England, he moved to Dunedin as a child and was educated at George Street Normal School, Otago Boys' High School and the University of Otago from where he graduated in 1975 with a BA (Hons.) and MLitt in philosophy.
Entwisle worked as a freelance journalist in England for several years before returning to Dunedin in 1980 where he became curator of the Dunedin Public Art Gallery, a post he held for 20 years. Since 2000, he has again worked as a freelance writer, and as a regular columnist for the Otago Daily Times. Several of his biographical writings have become part of the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. He has also curated a number of art exhibitions.
Entwisle is involved in Dunedin's architectural heritage, and has been involved in several campaigns including those against structural changes to the exterior of the Dunedin Municipal Chambers and against the construction of the Forsyth Barr Stadium at University Plaza. He has been a member of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust since 1985.
- William Mathew Hodgkins & his Circle, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, 1984.
- Pavilioned in Splendour: George O’Brien’s Vision of Colonial New Zealand, (with Roger Collins), Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, 1986.
- Nerli, (with Michael Dunn and Roger Collins) Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, 1988.
- Derek Ball: a Decade of Sculpture, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, 1988.
- Annie Baird: an Exhibition of Recent Works, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, 1989.
- Venus Fly Traps: Nicola Jackson, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, 1990.
- Treasures of the Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, 1990.
- In Tasman’s Wake: European Art from the Age of Rembrandt to the Land of Colin McCahon, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, 1991.
- Elaine & Other Stories, ESAW Press, Dunedin, 1992. (fiction)
- Behold the Moon: the European Occupation of the Dunedin District 1770–1848, Port Daniel Press, Dunedin, 1998.
- Taka, a Vignette Life of William Tucker 1784–1817, Port Daniel Press, Dunedin, 2005.
- For example, this piece on Edward Weller
- Loughrey, David (27 November 2008). "Stop the Stadium committee split". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- New Zealand Historic Places Trust – Otago Southland newsletter Summer 2006 at the Wayback Machine (archived 6 October 2007)
- New Zealand Listener review