|Born||Peter Kendal Hargreaves
5 October 1946
|Residence||West Country, U.K.|
|Education||Clitheroe Royal Grammar School|
|Known for||Co-founder of Hargreaves Lansdown|
|Net worth||£2.39 billion|
Peter Kendal Hargreaves CBE (born 5 October 1946) is an English co-founder with Stephen Lansdown of Hargreaves Lansdown, one of the United Kingdom's largest financial services businesses. He is a shareholder of Hargreaves Lansdown but no longer a director or employee.
Trained as an accountant, Peter Hargreaves initially worked as a computer salesman. He then started Hargreaves Lansdown trading from a bedroom in 1981; in 2010, he stood down as chief executive, receiving £18 million in payouts from dividends. He was succeeded as CEO by Ian Gorham. He is reportedly now worth £1,025 million according to the Sunday Times Rich List 2011.
Hargreaves joined the board of ITM Power in February 2004 as a non-executive director: he has invested heavily in ITM Power. In March 2016 he joined the Leave.EU movement to campaign for the UK's exit from the European Union.
Hargreaves financially supported the Leave.EU campaign in 2016, and wrote to 15 million UK householders asking them to support the leave campaign in the European Union membership referendum.
Hargreaves said that the Brexit will lead to insecurity, which will turn out be very effective. His shares on the stock markets however went down about £400 million after the 2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum. Hargreaves answered that this fall may soon change, the companies in the FTSE 100 Index may turn out to be very profitable because of the referendum decision.
- "The billionaire 100 club: Peter Hargreaves' inexorable rise". City Wire. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Richard Branson Reveals Virgin Has Lost A Third Of Its Value Since Brexit". Huffington Post. 28 June 2016. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- Wachman, Richard (June 30, 2011). "Peter Hargreaves, the modest multimillionaire". The Guardian. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- Andrew Lynch (22 March 2009). "Fame and Fortune: Peter Hargreaves". Sunday Times. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- Bristol’s deadly duo hit the City The Times, 6 May 2007
- "Hargreaves retires with £18m windfall | Mail Online". dailymail.co.uk. 2011. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- Peter Hargreaves worth £1.02bn; Pair make top100 Rich List IFA on-line, 9 May 2011
- ITM Power: People
- Peter Hargreaves: My First Million FT.com
- "Peter Hargreaves Joins the Leave.EU team". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2013.
- Michael Yong (31 March 2016). "Bankrolling Brexit: How two Bristol businessmen put in millions of pounds". Bristol Post. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Howard Mustoe (18 March 2016). "EU referendum: Founder of FTSE 100 broker backs EU exit". BBC News. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Damian Fantato (23 March 2016). "Peter Hargreaves signs 15m letters backing Brexit". FTAdviser. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Dylan Lobo (29 March 2016). "Hargreaves Lansdown distances itself from founder's leave campaign". citywire.co.uk. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- 'Like Dunkirk': Brexit donor trumpets 'fantastic insecurity' of leaving EU, Guardian 12 May 2016
- Mann, Sebastian (June 28, 2016). "Brexit campaign's biggest donor has lost £400m since the referendum but says: 'I've got no regrets'". London Evening Standard. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- Fame & Fortune: Peter Hargreaves The Times, 22 March 2009
- Peter Hargreaves biography page on the Hargreaves Lansdown website.