Peter James Lee
|The Right Reverend
Peter James Lee
|Bishop of Virginia|
|Church||Episcopal Church (United States)|
May 11, 1938 |
Greenville, North Carolina, United States
|Spouse||Kristina Knapp Lee|
Elected Coadjutor Bishop in the Diocese of Virginia, the largest Episcopal diocese in the country, he was consecrated and served from 1984 to 1985, until the retirement of Bishop Robert Bruce Hall. Lee then served as Bishop from 1985 until his own retirement in 2009, having Shannon Sherwood Johnston as Coadjuter Bishop in his final years.
Beginning early in his episcopate, several conservative congregations stopped paying diocesan dues, citing objections to the ordination of women priests, as authorized by the General Convention. The controversy metamorphosed, with the stated primary objections changing to matters of sexuality with the consecration of bishop Gene Robinson of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire in 2003, and the election of Katharine Jefferts Schori as Presiding bishop in 2006. Two large Virginia parishes attracted national attention by attempting to leave the Diocese and associate with an African diocese while keeping their Virginia churches and other property. Lee sued to have the facilities declared the property of the Diocese, and was ultimately successful, although that resolution only happened under his successor.
From 2009 to 2010, Lee officiated as Interim Dean at the Grace Cathedral (San Francisco). He served the General Theological Seminary of New-York in the same position from 2010 to 2011. Then he moved to France and became Interim Dean and Rector at the Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity in Paris (2011-2012). From 2013 to 2014, he was Provisional Bishop in the Diocese of East Carolina. In November 2015, he was announced as the Assisting Bishop in the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina.
Honors and awards
Lee is married to Kristina Knapp (Kristy) Lee. They have two children and five grandchildren.
- List of Episcopal bishops of the United States
- Historical list of the Episcopal bishops of the United States
- Boorstein, Michelle (February 16, 2007). "Moderate Bishop Takes Unexpected Turn". Washington Post. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- Harmon, Kendall (2012-04-02). "TitusOneNine - Bishop Shannon Johnston—Virginia Episcopalians ready for a 'new dawn' after prolonged Battle". Kendallharmon.net. Retrieved 2016-12-28.
- "Peter Lee nominated as bishop provisional for East Carolina". Episcopal News Service. March 4, 2013. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "No. 61305". The London Gazette. 24 July 2015. pp. 13771–13773.
|Episcopal Church (USA) titles|
Robert Bruce Hall
|Bishop of Virginia