Peter John Jaban
He worked in the Land and Survey Office in Sarawak's capital Kuching but resigned in 2006. He then worked as a DJ in Cats FM. He is also a former deputy chairman of the Sarawak Dayak Iban Association (SADIA).
Radio Free Sarawak
Peter first met Clare Rewcastle Brown in 2008. In November 2010, Peter was invited by Clare to join Radio Free Sarawak, a radio that campaign against deforestation and loss of native land rights, and the alleged corruption of Sarawak's chief minister Abdul Taib Mahmud. Peter also started to use his on-air pseudonym "Papa Orang Utan".
Peter was detained immediately upon his arrival at Kota Kinabalu International Airport on 31 May 2012 after a few weeks of vacation. He said that he had been "arrested and then photographed, his documents copied, before being escorted on to the airplane" and flown to Miri, Sarawak. Peter was later taken away by three unidentified men shortly after arriving in Sarawak although he was escorted by Miri PKR chairman, Dr Micheal Teo. However, Sarawak police has denied any involvement in the arrest of Peter. This incident has sparked a public outrage because Peter just disappear without anyone knowing his location.
After 2 days, Peter was spotted and reportedly moving about freely in Miri. On the 3rd day, he contacted his colleague of Radio Free Sarawak. He apologised and clarify that the three men were good Samaritans and he decided to follow them because he feared for his safety. He did not have time to inform Micheal Teo of his intention because Teo was busy talking on the phone at that time. Peter's phone was not working because of heavy rain and thus he was unable to report his safety to his colleague in the first few days. Peter decided to remain in Sarawak in order to continue his campaign for coming Malaysian general election.
- "The people behind Radio Free Sarawak." Retrieved on 7 July 2011
- Cohen, David (22 February 2011). "Gordon Brown's sister-in-law tackles corruption in Borneo". Evening Standard. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "Who is Peter John Jaban of Radio Free Sarawak?". Malaysian Media Matters. 2011-03-14.
- What's Happened To Papa Orang Utan?! Accessed on 11 August 2012
- report Activist radio host reported missing in Sarawak
- Probe Peter John Jaban's abduction immediately Accessed on 11 August 2012
- Is Malaysia under rule of law or law of jungle where Radio Free Sarawak presenter Peter John Jaban can disappear for 6 hours after arrival in Miri without anyone in authority claiming knowledge or responsibility? Accessed on 11 August 2012
- Broadcaster for Radio Free Sarawak goes missing in Malaysia Accessed on 11 August 2012
- Papa Orang Utan Police Search Accessed on 11 August 2012
- Papa Orang Utan Makes Contact With RFS Accessed on 11 August 2012
- Radio deejay Peter John to remain in Sarawak Accessed on 11 August 2012