Marr received a Ph.D. in Middle Eastern history from Harvard University and a master's in Middle East studies from Radcliffe College.
Marr is currently on the Board of Directors at the Middle East Policy Council, a Washington, D.C. based organization that seeks to educate American citizens and policy-makers about Middle East issues and Islam. She also serves on the Board of Directors of the Hollings Center for International Dialogue, an NGO that works to promote dialogue between the US and predominantly Muslim countries.
- Iraq's Refugee and IDP Crisis: Human Toll and Implications Middle East Institute
- Iraq's New Political Map, Special Report (January 2007)
- Who Are Iraq's New Leaders? What Do They Want?, Special Report (March 2006)
- Democracy in the Rough, Current History, January 2006 (PDF).
- The Modern History of Iraq (revised edition, 2012).
- Egypt at the Crossroads: Domestic Stability and Regional Rule, editor and contributor (1999).
- Riding the Tiger: The Middle East After the Cold War, editor and contributor (1993).