Phil Jackson (rugby league, born 1932)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Phil Jackson (born c. 1932) is a former Great Britain Rugby League World Cup winning footballer, and captain playing at Centre, or Stand-off/Five-eighth, as well as a Barrow club legend. Jackson won 27 Great Britain caps, played in the 1954 and 1957 Rugby League World Cups and twice toured Australasia with the Lions.
Jackson was born in Canada but moved to Barrow-in-Furness, England, with his parents at the age of three. He played rugby league at school but his first senior rugby experience came in union after he took up an apprenticeship at a shipyard. He switched to league when he was offered professional terms by Barrow in 1950 at the age of 18.
With Barrow, where he was known as the 'Prince Among Centres', he played in three Challenge Cup finals in the 1950s. Injury forced him to retire in 1959 but he later moved to Australia and was tempted back into playing by the Goulburn Workers Club in New South Wales. He took up coaching after retiring and eventually settled in Wagga Wagga.
Challenge Cup final appearances
Phil Jackson played Centre, i.e. number 3, in Barrow's 0-10 defeat by Wigan in the 1951 Challenge Cup final during the 1950–51 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 5 May 1951, played in Barrow's 21-12 victory over Workington Town in the 1955 Challenge Cup final during the 1954–55 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 30 April 1955, and played and scored a try in Barrow's 7-9 defeat by Leeds in the 1957 Challenge Cup final during the 1956–57 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 11 May 1957.
County Cup final appearances
- Edgar, Harry (2007). Rugby League Journal Annual 2008 Page-110. Rugby League Journal Publishing. ISBN 0-9548355-3-0
- "1950-1951 Challenge Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Barrow make two finals in one year". nwemail.co.uk. 31 December 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Phil Jackson at rl1908.com
- U.K. League Hooker in Doubt
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Back on the Wembley trail
- England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Wigan Wins Rugby League Cup - Short Version 1951
- Special - Wigan Wins Rugby League Cup 1951
- Rugby League Cup Final 1955
- Rugby League Final 1957