|Residence||Cold Spring, New York|
|Known for||Creator and co-editor of Mondoweiss with Adam Horowitz|
Philip Weiss is an American journalist who co-edits Mondoweiss ("a news website devoted to covering American foreign policy in the Middle East, chiefly from a progressive Jewish perspective") with journalist Adam Horowitz. Weiss describes himself as an anti-Zionist and rejects the label "post-Zionist."
Weiss is the author of the novel Cock-a-Doodle-Doo (1996) and the non-fiction book American Taboo: A Murder In The Peace Corps (2004). He co-edited The Goldstone Report: The Legacy of the Landmark Investigation of the Gaza Conflict (2011) with Adam Horowitz and Lizzy Ratner.
In 2006 he began writing a daily blog called Mondoweiss for The New York Observer website which began to focus only on "Jewish issues" like "the Iraq disaster and my Jewishness, Zionism, neo-conservatism, Israel, Palestine." In the spring of 2007, he began Mondoweiss as an independent blog.
Allegations of antisemitism
Weiss and his website have been accused of antisemitism. According to Elliot Kaufman, writing in The Stanford Review, Mondoweiss "often publishes astonishingly anti-Semitic material, using classic anti-Semitic imagery such as depicting Jews as spiders, cockroaches, or octopuses with tentacles controlling others, and Holocaust inversion. Its hatred of Israel is as deep as it is vicious."
In 2015, David Bernstein, writing for The Washington Post, called the website a "hate site", and listed quotes from Weiss that he asserted were anti-Semitic. This included Weiss's claim that "the Israel lobby ... reflected a contract the American establishment had made with Jews to drive the economy in the 1970s", which Bernstein likened to a belief in an "Elders of Zion type group".
- 1996: Cock-a-Doodle-Doo
- 2004: American Taboo: A Murder In The Peace Corps
- 2011: The Goldstone Report: The Legacy of the Landmark Investigation of the Gaza Conflict, by Adam Horowitz, Lizzy Ratner, Philip Weiss, Naomi Klein, et al.
- "Cool Cynic: Philip Weiss". Entertainment Weekly. 30 June 1995.
- "Mondo Weiss". Tablet. 20 January 2011.
- About: Mondowiess
- Phil Weiss at Mondoweiss.
- Philip Weiss, "I'm gonna wave my freak flag high (why I say I'm an 'Anti-Zionist,' not a 'Post-Zionist')", Mondoweiss blog, January 10, 2009.
- Philip Weiss, Cock-a-Doodle-Doo, St. Martin's Press, March 1996, ISBN 0312141009 ISBN 978-0312141004
- Publisher Harper Collins web page on Philip Weiss, American Taboo: A Murder In The Peace Corps, 2004.
- Philip Weiss, Adam Horowitz, Lizzy Ratner, The Goldstone Report: The Legacy of the Landmark Investigation of the Gaza Conflict, Nation Books , January 11, 2011, ISBN 1568586418 ISBN 978-1568586410
- Philip Weiss at New York magazine.
- Philip Weiss at Harper's magazine.
- Biography from Harper Collins
- Philip Weiss at New York Observer.
- Philip Weiss, Blogging about Israel and Jewish identity raises Observer hackles, The American Conservative, June 4, 2007.
- Kaufman, Eliot (12 April 2016). "Stanford's Most Radical Professor Strikes Again". The Stanford Review. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- Bob Shacochis, Nonfiction: "American Taboo" by Philip Weiss Review of American Taboo Salon.com, July 20, 2004.
- Peter Godwin, "A Cold Case". Review of American Taboo in The New York Times Book Review, June 27, 2004.
- Publisher's Weekly review
- Adas, Jane. "From The Link's Links - http://www.mondoweiss.net," The Link, Vol. 43, Issue 1, Americans for Middle East Understanding, January - March 2010:12.
- PBS. "Extended Interviews: American Jews and Israel - Philip Weiss, writer and blogger," PBS, June 12, 2009.
- Philip Weiss: A Jewish Argument around the Arab Revolt at Radio Open Source
- Masters of the Universe Go to Camp: Inside the Bohemian Grove Spy Magazine, November 1989, pages 59–76