Sly grew up in Ottawa, joined local boys and adult choirs and studied music at McGill University. In 2011 he was one of the winners of the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions, and in 2012 he won the Grand Prize of the Montreal International Musical Competition.
At San Francisco Opera, he joined the company's Merola training program in 2011 and won the SF Opera Adler Fellowship in 2013. Here in June 2013 he debuted as Guglielmo in Cosi fan tutte and in June 2015 as Figaro in Le nozze di Figaro. In June 2017 he debuted in the title role of Don Giovanni at Aix-en-Provence Festival.
- In Dreams (2012): Robert Schumann, Dichterliebe; Maurice Ravel, Don Quichotte à Dulcinée; Guy Ropartz, Quatre poèmes d’après l’intermezzo d’Heinrich Heine; Jonathan Dove, Three Tennyson Songs.
- Rameau: Les Amants trahis (2013)
- Love's Minstrels: English Songs from the 19th and 20th Centuries (2014)
- Schubert Sessions: Lieder with guitar (2016)
as featured artist
|"Phantom of the Dancefloor"
(Kiesza featuring Philippe Sly)
indicates a background vocal contribution.
|2019||Kiesza||TBA||"Sweet Love"||Kiesa Rae Ellestad, Kasper Falkenberg, Nicholas Furdal, Thomas Hull|
- "First Play: Philippe Sly, Love's Minstrels", article in CBC music, April 8, 2014
- Portrait in Ottawa Citizen, published on June 30, 2015
- Review of Così fan tutte at SF Opera, SFGate (San Francisco Chronicle), June 10, 2013
- "A Spirited MARRIAGE OF FIGARO at San Francisco Opera", The Berkeley Daily Planet, July 07, 2015
- "Avec Philippe Sly dans le rôle-titre, pour "Don Giovanni", le Festival d'Aix-en-Provence joue la carte de la jeunesse". destimed.fr (in French). Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- CDs of Philippe Sly in the catalogue of Analekta