Kiesza performing at the Sound of a Woman Tour, 2015
|Birth name||Kiesa Rae Ellestad|
|Also known as||Kiesza|
January 16, 1989|
|Service/||Canadian Forces Naval Reserve|
Kiesa Rae Ellestad (born January 16, 1989), known professionally as Kiesza (// KY-zə), is a Canadian singer and multi-instrumentalist from Calgary, who has most recently worked in New York City and London.
Kiesza was born and raised in Calgary. Her last name Ellestad is Norwegian from her paternal side and her grandfather is from Fagernes in Norway. When she was 16, she took part in the Sail and Life Training Society (SALTS)  program and later became a sailing instructor at the Glenmore Sailing School in 2007. A year later she joined the reserves of the Royal Canadian Navy along with her brother, becoming a NavCom (Naval Communicator). It was while she was at crew singalongs at the Navy that she taught herself to play guitar. Meanwhile, she also entered the Miss Universe Canada pageant. She stated that her time in the Navy motivated her to give away 4,500 CDs to Canadian troops serving in Afghanistan in 2008.
Kiesza took part in the Young Canadians, performing tap and jazz dancing, as well as theatre. She also trained as a ballerina, however, a knee injury at age 15 ended her ballet career. When Kiesza was 18, she says that her parents' divorce caused her to write her first song, as a way of expressing her feelings. The same year, she heard a song of hers played on the radio.
In an interview with the Metro, Kiesza claimed that she can trace her lineage to someone who fought alongside Robert the Bruce at the Battle of Bannockburn, elaborating "There's a lot of Scottish people in Canada. Tons. My grandpa was of Scottish heritage – he was of the black Douglases".
2006–13: Career beginnings
CKUA Folk Routes host Tom Coxworth selected her to perform for a live audience and to be broadcast live on his radio show. Shortly after, she was accepted to the Selkirk College in Nelson, BC, where she studied keyboard, voice and guitar. Next, Kiesza obtained a scholarship to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. After attending Berklee, she went to New York City in 2010 to advance her music career. Although Kiesza started as mainly a folk singer, after attending Berklee and then living in New York, she moved to a more "uptempo sound" for which she works with producer Rami Samir Afuni. In 2010 she was selected to play at the Canada Day celebrations at Trafalgar Square in London for 30,000 people.
In 2012, Kiesza released her first single after starting work with Afuni in New York, a "disco-infused pop" single titled "Oops" about a couple that had unprotected sex. She labelled her style of music at the time as "SteamPop", described by AjanWrites as "a flaming brew of bold, boisterous pop filled with tongue-in-cheek lyrics". In a later 2014 interview, she said "Oops" was made as a joke.
2014–16: Sound of a Woman
In February 2014, Kiesza released the video for her new single "Hideaway" through the label Lokal Legend. Idolator considered it unique, for having a long take throughout the entire video, as Kiesza walked and danced through N 12th Street In Brooklyn, New York City. John Gentile of Rolling Stone called the style "impressive". Kiesza reported to Rolling Stone that she had trouble making the video, partly because she broke a rib just before filming, and "couldn't move for an entire month afterward." It was premiered by Annie Mac on her Mac's Special Delivery segment on BBC Radio 1. "Hideaway" debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart issued for April 26, 2014.
Shortly after "Hideaway" charted, Kiesza released a new video for her cover of Haddaway's song "What Is Love". Mike Bell of the Calgary Herald referred to her version of the song as a "jaw-droppingly gorgeous cover of Haddaway's 1993 dance smash What Is Love?" She performed a slowed down version, with a video showing her and others, slowly revealed to be without clothes, to express "raw emotions".
Kiesza collaborated with Skrillex and Diplo on the song "Take Ü There", which was released as the first single from a collaborative mixtape between the two producers. She co-wrote Gorgon City's "Go All Night", which features Jennifer Hudson singing her lyrics, which was on the British duo's debut album, Sirens.
She wrote several songs for Rihanna which were considered for her eighth album. She also worked with Loreen on her album, which was expected to be released in 2016 and co-wrote the second single, "I'm In It With You".
2017: Dearly Beloved
After a long hiatus, Kiesza released the single "Dearly Beloved" on January 6, 2017. An accompanying music video, which showcases Kiesza and a white guitar, was posted on YouTube the same day through the KieszaVevo channel. According to Kiesza, the song and her future material were inspired by her "best friend Alice [who] passed away nearly a year and a half ago [as of 1/6/17]". On March 17, 2017, Pitbull released Climate Change featuring a collaboration with Kiesza titled "We Are Strong". On the same time, Cerrone released the album RedLips featuring a collaboration with Kiesza titled "Ain't No Party".
In 2014, Kiesza was selected to be the face of a new line of fashion eyewear called "Color Block" by retailer Fendi, appearing in a promotional video shot by Ruth Hogben. The video "features Kiesza strolling on a treadmill against a painted skyline, while singing and donning the double-framed, colourful sunglasses." She announced plans to release her own line of fashion under the name "SteamPop" sometime in 2014.
- Kiesza (2008)
- Sound of a Woman (2014)
- TBA (2018)
- Sound of a Woman Tour (2015)
- Demi World Tour (2014)
Awards and nominations
|2014||UK Music Video Awards||Best Pop Video - International||"Hideaway"||Nominated|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Video||Nominated|
|Best New Act||Herself||Nominated|
|Best Push Act||Nominated|
|Best Canadian Act||Nominated|
|BBC Music Awards||Song of the Year||"Hideaway"||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Choreography||Nominated|
|2015||ECHO Awards ||Female Artist Rock / Pop internationally||"Sound of a Woman"||Nominated|
|Juno Awards||Single of the Year||"Hideaway"||Nominated|
|Video of the Year||Won|
|Breakthrough Artist of the Year||Herself||Won|
|Dance Recording of the Year||"Sound of a Woman"||Won|
|Youtube Music Awards||50 greatest artists and YouTube performances||Herself||Won|
|mtvU Woodie Awards||Cover Woodie||Nominated|
|Co-Sign Woodie||"Take U There" Jack U feat. Kiesza||Nominated|
|Canadian Radio Music Awards||Best New Group Or Solo Artist: CHR||"Hideaway"||Won|
|Best New Group Or Solo Artist: AC||Nominated|
|Western Canadian Music Awards||Electronic/Dance Recording of the Year ||Won|
|International Dance Music Awards||Best House/Garage/Deep House Track||Won|
|Best Music Video||Nominated|
|Best Rap/Hip-Hop/Trap Dance Track||"Take U There" Jack U feat. Kiesza||Nominated|
|Best Breakthrough Artist (Solo)||Herself||Nominated|
|Much Music Video Awards||Video of the Year||"Giant in My Heart"||Nominated|
|Most Buzzworthy Canadian||"Sound of a Woman"||Nominated|
- "Talent: KIESZA | Interview" (in German). July 25, 2014. Archived from the original on August 20, 2014.
- Verdot-Belaval, Athony (April 29, 2014). "25 ans, la chanteuse canadienne vient de dévoiler en France son premier single "Hideaway". Portrait d'une ancienne militaire devenue reine des charts". Paris Match (in French). Archived from the original on May 23, 2014. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Cull, Alex (March 25, 2014). "Introducing: Kiesza". Planet Notion. Retrieved March 24, 2014.
- Cragg, Michael (April 27, 2014). "One to watch: Kiesza". The Observer. Archived from the original on April 27, 2014. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- Szmydke, Paulina (May 28, 2014). "Kiesza Gets Into the Groove". Women's Wear Daily. Archived from the original on May 28, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "Self-styled and self-titled". Calgary Herald. December 30, 2008. Archived from the original on August 18, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Wilton, Lisa (June 19, 2009). "Kiesza life stories written in strings". Calgary Sun. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Daw, Robbie (March 20, 2014). "Popping Up: Kiesza". Idolator. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Hot New Pop Alert: Watch Kiesza's Lyric Video for Debut Single "Oops"". ArjanWrites.com. September 6, 2012. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Cragg, Michael (February 11, 2014). "Kiesza – Hideaway (Gorgon City Remix): New music". The Guardian. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Carroll, Jim (February 6, 2014). "New Music – Patrick Freeman, Kiesza, Sylvan Esso | On The Record". Irishtimes.com. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- "Kiesza – 'Hideaway'". PopJustice.com. January 24, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Hør 90-tallsslageren i «naken» versjon".
- "VG-listeshowet: Kvinnelige stjerneskudd til Rådhusplassen".
- "Donkeyboy-vokalist mot toppen i Storbritannia".
- Bell, Mike (May 3, 2014). "Calgary singer Kiesza taking the pop music world by storm". Calgary Herald. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- Hunt, Stephen (June 24, 2010). "Breathtaking Drive". Calgary Herald. Archived from the original on March 22, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Collins, Hattie (April 14, 2014). "kiesza, the canadian singer on ballet, boats, bullets and big hits". i-D. Vice Media. Archived from the original on April 25, 2014. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- This Week's Fresh Music Top 20
- Rayner, Ben (June 14, 2014). "Kiesza at the MMVAs: Hideaway no more". Toronto Star. p. E8. Archived from the original on June 13, 2014. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
...since a knee injury at 15 cut her ballet career short...
- "Hideaway Kiesza's Scottish roots". Metro. July 14, 2014: 17.
- Schafer, Timothy (April 7, 2009). "Music, Environment & Passion; Before heading off to the prestigious Berklee School of Music in Boston, Selkirk College Music Grad Kiesza Ellestad is taking the Capitol Theatre stage in support of the West Kootenay EcoSociety and her future career". Nelson Daily News. p. 3.
- Parker, David (July 9, 2010). "Rainmaker brings the party to London". Calgary Herald. Archived from the original on March 22, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "The Best New Videos for September 4 – 7". NewMusicLive.ca (MuchMusic). BellMedia. September 7, 2012. Archived from the original on May 24, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- Triggerfinger (inlay). Donkeyboy ft. Kiesza. Warner Music Norway. 2013.
- McMurray, Jenna (April 19, 2014). "Calgary-born songstress Kiesza tops United Kingdom charts with hit single Hideaway". Calgary Sun. Archived from the original on April 25, 2014. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- Gentile, John (February 13, 2014). "Kiesza Barrels Through the Pain in 'Hideaway' – Video Premiere". Rolling Stone. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Herr, Lindsay (February 13, 2014). "Kiesza takes it to the streets in her debut video for lead single "Hideaway"". EarMilk. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Lane, Daniel (April 20, 2014). "Kiesza claims her debut UK Number 1 single with Hideaway". Official Charts Company. British Phonographic Industry, Entertainment Retailers Association. Archived from the original on April 25, 2014. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- Daw, Robbie (April 23, 2014). "Kiesza Covers Haddaway's "What Is Love": Watch The Video For Her Rendition Of The '90s Classic". Idolator. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Oakey1973 (March 16, 2015). "Kiesza is expected back in the Studio for a few days to do a bit more work". Duran Duran Official Site. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Copsey, Rob (September 11, 2014). "Kiesza writes "favourite song ever" for Rihanna's new album". Official Charts Company. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- KieszaVEVO (2017-01-05), Kiesza - Dearly Beloved, retrieved 2017-01-29
- "Cerrone embrasse le funk avec l'album « Red Lips »". blog.mothershaker.com.
- Tim, Andy (May 27, 2014). "Fendi Color Block eyewear collection featuring Kiesza". Elle Malaysia. Archived from the original on May 28, 2014. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "Kiesza: I design clothes I can't find". Belfast Telegraph. May 28, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- Tortora, Laura (May 28, 2014). "Kiesza X Fendi". Vogue Italia. Archived from the original on May 28, 2014. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- Ciobanu, Madalina (May 27, 2014). "Kiesza Named as New Face of Fendi Eyewear". Harpars Bazaar. Archived from the original on May 28, 2014. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "Germany's Echo Awards 2015: All the winners - Music Business Worldwide". March 27, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kiesza.|