Piano Sonata No. 8 (Mozart)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Piano Sonata in A minor|
|by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart|
Mozart, 1777 copy of a lost painting
|Catalogue||K. 310 / 300d|
|Movements||Three (Allegro maestoso, Andante cantabile con espressione, Presto)|
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 8 in A minor, K. 310 / 300d, was written in 1778. The sonata is the first of only two Mozart piano sonatas in a minor key (the other being No. 14 in C minor, K. 457). It was composed in the summer of 1778 around the time of his mother's death, one of the most tragic times of his life.
Little is known about the precise circumstances surrounding the composition of the sonata; unlike the earlier Sonata in C major, K. 309/284b, it was little mentioned in his correspondence. The surviving manuscript was written using the same type of paper that was used for the Symphony in D major, K. 297/300a, which Mozart purchased while in Paris.
The composition, which typically takes around 22 minutes to perform, is in three movements:
Piano Sonata No. 8 in A minor
Problems playing these files? See media help.
- Anderson, Keith (1990). Mozart: Piano Sonatas, Vol. 1 (CD). Naxos Records. 8.550445.
- Irving, John (1997). Mozart's Piano Sonatas: Contexts, Sources, Style. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-49631-4.
- Irving, John (2010). Understanding Mozart's Piano Sonatas. Ashgate Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7546-6769-8.
- Jaffe, Jane Vial (2015). "Program Notes: Piano Sonata in A minor, K. 300d (K. 310)". Parlance Chamber Concerts.}
- Keefe, Simon P., ed. (2015). Mozart Studies 2. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-107-04423-4.
- Levin, Robert D. "Mozart and the Keyboard Culture of his time" (PDF). Bar-Ilan University.
- Moylan, Andrew L. (2014). Venerable Style, Form, and Avant-Garde in Mozart's Minor Key Piano Sonatas K. 310 and K. 457: Topic and Structure (M.Mus). University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Thomas, Derek (2015). "The Formal Structure and Biographical Significance of Mozart's Sonata No. 8 K.310 Movement I Allegro Maestoso" (PDF). Belmont University.
- Media related to Piano Sonata No. 8 (Mozart) at Wikimedia Commons
- Sonate in a KV 310 (300d): Score and critical report (in German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Piano Sonata No. 8: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP)
- Video on YouTube, Emil Gilels
|This article about a sonata is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|