Pier Cristoforo Giulianotti
He received his medical degree from the foremost Italian university, “Normale” of Pisa. Besides a formal General Surgery Residency, he has completed two additional Residencies in Thoracic Surgery and Vascular Surgery. Between 1998 and 2004, he became the Head of the Department of General Surgery at Misericordia Hospital in Grosseto. Already experienced in laparoscopic and advanced open surgery, he took the challenge with the introduction of the new robotic technology in 2000. In the last eight years he has developed the largest program worldwide for robotic surgery. He has performed over 2100 minimally invasive surgeries of which more than 914 have been robotic procedures. Dr. Giulianotti has been the first in the world to perform with robotic technology complex procedures such as formal hepatic resection, lung resection and pancreatico-duodenectomy. Dr. Giulianotti is currently considered the foremost robotic surgeon worldwide.
In April 2008, Dr. Giulianotti and his team at The University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago have inaugurated the Advanced Robotic Research and Training Laboratory, the only training center in the Midwest designed for robotic training.
In 2009, Dr. Giulianotti was named the inaugural president of the Clinical robotic surgery association.
- Pier Cristoforo Giulianotti: Un robot al posto del bisturi, ToscanaOggi (Italian)
- Medico di Filattiera a Chicago per operare con i robot, La Nazione (Italian)
- "Robotic surgery makes Dr. Giulianotti think about art - GlobalTimes". Global Times. July 19, 2010. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- Pier Cristoforo Giulianotti - University of Illinois at Chicago
- Dall'ascella al nodulo si opera con il robot, Repubblica.it (Italian)