Pigott and Piggott are English surnames.
The Pigott Baronetcy is a title in the Baronetage of Great Britain.
Derivation and variants
The name Pigott is derived from Picot. The latter is recorded as a given name in the Domesday Book, but its origin is not clear. William Camden suggested a derivation from Old French picote meaning pock-marked, freckled. Another possible derivation from is from Pike, as in stick driven into the ground, originating from Somerset.
People with the surname Pigott
- Nathaniel Pigott (1725–1804), English astronomer
- Edward Pigott (1753–1825), son of Nathaniel, astronomer
- Francis Pigott Stainsby Conant (1810–1863), British politician
- Gwyn Hanssen Pigott (1935-2013) Australian potter
- Jean Pigott (born 1924), Canadian politician
- Mark Pigott (born 1954), American businessman
- Nick Pigott (born 1951), editor of The Railway Magazine
- Stuart Pigott (born 1960), British wine critic
- Tim Pigott-Smith (born 1946), British actor
- Tony Pigott (born 1958), English cricketer
- Eugene F. Pigott, Jr. (born 1946), American jurist
People with the surname Piggott
- Derek Piggott (born 1922), British glider pilot
- Emeline Piggott (1836–1919), Confederate States of America spy
- Francis Taylor Piggott (1852–1925) British jurist and scholar of Japan
- Jim Piggott, Canadian ice hockey player, after whom the Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy is named
- Lester Piggott (born 1935), British jockey
- Marcus Piggott, fashion photographer
- Percival Piggott (born 1966), Panamanian footballer
- Richard Piggott (1835–1889), Irish journalist and forger
- Stuart Piggott (1910–1996), British archaeologist
- Victor Herrera Piggott (born 1980), Panamanian footballer
- William Roy Piggott (1914–2008), British scientist
- Fictional characters
- Owd Grandad Piggott, character on BBC Radio Stoke
- William Piggott, minor character in Coronation Street, 1964
- Pickett and Pigott in A dictionary of English and Welsh surnames: with special American instances by Charles Wareing Endell Bardsley, London, 1901.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Pigott. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|