|Birth name||Michael Martin Kaminski|
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
Michael Martin Kaminski (born July 29), professionally known as Plaza (stylized as PLAZA) is a Canadian R&B singer, songwriter and producer from Toronto, Ontario. He is best known for his single "Personal", which was released in November 2016. He is currently signed to OVO Sound, the record label co-founded by rapper Drake, producer Noah "40" Shebib and Oliver El-Khatib.
Plaza officially released his debut EP, One, on SoundCloud on August 29, 2016. However, he had released every track on the set over the past year, building up a gradual fanbase despite little information and no press.
In December 2016, BuzzFeed included Plaza in their list of "17 artists to watch out for in 2017". Two months later, he featured in Now Toronto's "Toronto musicians to watch in 2017: R&B and pop edition".
Plaza signed a record deal with Drake's OVO Sound label in June 2017. In doing so, he became the first artist to join in over a year, following the signing of R&B duo dvsn in February 2016. The news broke during an episode of OVO Sound Radio, with El-Khatib debuting Plaza's second EP, Shadow, at the end of the show, and describing him as the "newest member of the OVO Sound family".
On December 22, Plaza released two new singles titled "All Mine" and "Pick Up".
On 19 October 2018, Plaza released a single titled "Switch".
A month later, on 30 November 2018, Plaza released "Touch & Go".
In November 2016, Plaza revealed in an interview with Noisey that he keeps his identity a secret as a "comfort thing" but expects it to be revealed in the future. He also explained that there is no meaning behind his stage name, and it is purely for aesthetics.
Plaza's music has often been compared to the early style of The Weeknd. He addressed the similarities in 2016, saying: "I don't like to make comparisons. I'm really trying to be my own artist." Critics have also compared his musical style to PartyNextDoor, as well as underground artists Anders and K. Forest.
Speaking about his style, Plaza said: "I want my music to feel like a soundtrack for anyone driving at night. I have visuals always playing in the studio—city lights or slow drives through the town. It's that late-night sound, something you listen to while cruising."
|"Touch & Go"|
- "PLAZA". SoundCloud. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- "Rising Toronto-Based Artist PLAZA Releases Debut EP, 'One' - Singersroom.com". singersroom.com. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- "Toronto R&B Artist Plaza Gets "Personal" On A New Track". The FADER. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Northern Touch: The Best Canadian Songs Of November". Complex. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- "17 Artists To Watch Out For In 2017". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- Ritchie, Kevin (2017-02-08). "Toronto musicians to watch in 2017: R&B and pop edition". NOW Magazine. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- "Drake's OVO Sound Label Signs New Artist Plaza". Complex. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX -. "Five Things To Know About OVO Signee Plaza". HipHopDX. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Drake's OVO Sound Signs New Artist Plaza - XXL". XXL Mag. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "OVO's PLAZA Drops Off "All Mine"". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- "Meet PLAZA, the Latest Mysterious Artist to Emerge from Toronto R&B". Noisey. 2016-11-16. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- "Plaza - Shadow - The Come Up Show". The Come Up Show. 2017-06-13. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- One - EP by PLAZA on Apple Music, 2016-08-29, retrieved 2017-09-15
- SHADOW - EP by PLAZA on Apple Music, 2017-06-10, retrieved 2017-09-15