Plumbing Manufacturers International
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Plumbing Manufacturers International (PMI) is an industry association for manufacturers of plumbing products. Its members make 90% of the plumbing products sold in North America. Its headquarters is in Rolling Meadows, Illinois.
The association aims to advocate for its members, with representatives in Washington, D.C. and in several US states to monitor legislation at the federal, state and local levels to ensure public health and safety, water efficiency and product performance. It also aims to act as a source of industry and market information, and as a coordinating and decision-making body for dealing with industry issues, including the development and maintenance of codes and standards.
To provide advocacy for its members and the industry in regulatory and legislative matters, PMI staff are represented on National Association of Home Builders' Leading Suppliers Council and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) group Water Sense Partners, which aim to develop and maintain codes and standards. PMI members have access to the International Trade Administration of the United States Department of Commerce through ITAC/9, which focuses on Fair Trade issues. In addition to domestic alliances, PMI has formal agreements with the Bathroom Manufacturers Association in the UK, the Canadian Institute of Plumbing and Heating and the Plumbing Products Industry Group in Australia.
PMI hosts conferences and training workshops throughout the year.
Membership in PMI is open to global manufacturers of plumbing industry products including potable water supply system components, fixture fittings, waste fixture fittings, fixtures, flushing devices, sanitary drainage system components, and plumbing appliances, which are marketed and sold within the territorial limits of United States and Canada. In 2012, PMI opened its membership to plumbing materials and components suppliers and certifier organizations through its Allied Membership program.
In existence since the 1960s when it was known as the Plumbing Brass Institute (PBI), the organization’s scope was expanded in 1975 and the name changed to the Plumbing Manufacturers Institute (PMI). In 1998, it was reorganized around focus issues, product groups and standing committees and moved from a management company to a stand-alone organization with a dedicated staff. In 2010, it changed its name to Plumbing Manufacturers International to reflect its expanded scope.
PMI is the owner of an educational website which serves as a clearinghouse for information about plumbing fixtures and fittings, as well as information about clean water, water efficiency and bathroom safety. The site provides a glossary of plumbing industry terms and a directory of North American plumbing product markings.
- Plumbing Manufacturers International official website
- "Plumbing Manufacturers International Form 990 2015". ProPublica. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Plumbing Manufacturers International (PMI) - Welcome". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Join Us". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Our Members". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Contact Us". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "2016 Year In Review". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Vision & Mission Statements". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "PMI presents Legislator of the Year Award to 3 officials". Thomasnet. 3 June 2011.
- Members of the NAHB Leading Suppliers Council
- Water Sense Partners
- "Charter of the Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Building Materials, Construction, and Nonferrous Metals" (PDF).
- Bathroom Manufacturers Association
- Canadian Institute of Plumbing and Heating
- Plumbing Products Industry Group
- "PMI Alliances". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Membership Application". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "ICC-ES: News". www.icc-es.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Beschloss, Morris. "IPD flourishes as ASA centerpiece". Aim, the parent, was merged into the Plumbing Brass Institute, which became the Plumbing Manufacturers Institute. The Wholesaler. Archived from the original on 6 October 2008. Retrieved 1 September 2008.
- "History". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "The History of Plumbing - Timeline Infographic by SafePlumbing". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "PMI's New Name reflects global vision". ThomasNet.com. 8 March 2011.
- "Plumbing Terms, Terminology, Glossary from SafePlumbing". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Index of Industry Acronyms". www.safeplumbing.org. Retrieved 2017-05-16.