Plymouth High School (North Carolina)
|Plymouth High School|
|800 East Main Street
Plymouth, NC 27962
|Type||Comprehensive Public High School|
|School district||Washington County Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Delila Jackson|
|Enrollment||526 (as of 2010)|
|Color(s)||Blue, Gold, White|
|Feeder schools||Plymouth Elementary School|
Plymouth High School is a public high school located in Plymouth, North Carolina. It is one of two high schools, along with Creswell High School, in Washington County Schools. Plymouth High School's enrollment as of 2010 is 526 students. The student body is 80% Black; 17% White; 1% Hispanic; and 2% Unknown. 26% of Plymouth students receive a free or reduced lunch. The Plymouth Vikings football team has an active streak of making the NCHSAA State 1-A football championship game 5 consecutive years (2012-2016) and 6 appearance overall. The Vikings are 3-3 in these games. In 2007 The Vikings defeated the North Duplin Rebels 20-13 to claim their first ever State Championship for the school in any sport. In 2012 the Vikings returned to the State Championship game this time defeating the Murphy Bulldogs 20-15. They returned in 2013 and lost to Murphy in a close rematch 35-34. In 2014 the Vikings faced the Robbinsville Black Knights and after falling behind early, the Vikings staged a furious comeback that fell just short and lost to Robbinsville 21-18. In 2015 the Vikings and Black Knight's met again with Plymouth avenging the previous years Championship game by a 28-20 score. In 2016 an old foe, Murphy, returned to face the Vikings for the State Championship. In another close and exciting contest with the Vikings, the Bulldogs once again squeaked out a one point win 15-14!
Tragedy struck Plymouth High School on July 30, 1997 when 10 members of the Plymouth High School marching band were killed when their vehicle was struck by a tractor trailer truck while returning to band camp from their lunch break.
- Charles Bowser class of 1978 – Former professional football player with the Miami Dolphins
- Don Brown class of 1978 – Bestselling author of legal and military fiction and attorney, former U.S. military prosecutor.
- Lester C. Moore class of 1977 - Colonel, United States Army.
- Merton Cox, III class of 1982 - Executive Director of Operations U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office of Air and Marine (Senior Executive Service).
- Rev Dr William Barber II graduate 1981 Civil Rights leader. Architect of Moral Monday movement.
- Plymouth High School, Plymouth NC. Washingtonco.k12.nc.us. Retrieved on 2010-12-03.
- Washington County Schools, Plymouth NC. Washingtonco.k12.nc.us. Retrieved on 2010-12-03.
- Plymouth High School – Plymouth, North Carolina/NC – Public School Profile. Public schoolKnightsew.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-03.
- 10 Plymouth High School Students Killed In.... WRAL.com (1997-07-30). Retrieved on 2010-12-03.
- Plymouth Students Remembered in Memorial Service. WRAL.com (1997-08-07). Retrieved on 2010-12-03.
- 10 TEENAGERS KILLED IN N.C. ROAD COLLISION. – Free Online Library. Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-03.
- Articles about Passing Zone – Orlando Sentinel. Articles.orlandosentinel.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-03.
- Meehan, Mary. (1993-09-16) Articles about Summer Band Camp – Orlando Sentinel. Articles.orlandosentinel.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-03.