|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Pocket Planes icon
|Release date(s)||June 14, 2012 (iOS)
September 22, 2012 (Android)
Pocket Planes is a business simulation video game developed by NimbleBit for iOS. It was initially released on June 14, 2012. In October 2012, the game became available on the Mac App Store. An Android version, ported and published by Mobage, was released on September 22, 2012. The game was removed on September 24, 2015 from the Google Play Store but still available on App Store (iOS).
In Pocket Planes, players assume the role of an airline CEO. Starting with a few airports and small planes, players transport small amounts of cargo and passengers short distances. As they slowly gain profit from their flights, they then build more airports, buy better planes, and expand their airline internationally.
A formula determines how much profit will be earned from a flight, depending on the distance, speed and the weight of the plane used on the route. Filling a plane with items or people going to the same destination will net a 25% bonus on each item. Players can also complete events that involve flying special items and people to a designated destination. After completing these events, players are awarded Bux, which are used to buy planes and purchase other perks such as upgrades and the ability to speed up flights.
Shutdown for Android
On September 24, 2015, Android version of Pocket Planes which was ported by Mobage was removed because Mobage had removed their game servers and also other games like Pocket Frogs and Tiny Tower. There is no plans for porting it from Apple Store and re-releasing it and the data from Android cannot be transferred to iOS version. Nimblebit announced that future sequels or major update may re-releasing the game into Android.
- Rigney, Ryan. "Review: Pocket Planes' Airy Gameplay Doesn't Fly". Wired: Game|Life. Wired.com. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Pocket Planes for iPhone/iPad reviews — Metacritic".
- "Pocket Planes review — PocketGamer".
- "'Pocket Planes' Review - Now Boarding for NimbleBit's Next Classic — Toucharcade".
- "Pocket Planes Review — Jay Is Games".
- Cymet, Eli (June 13, 2012). "Pocket Planes Review". Gamezebo. Archived from the original on 17 June 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.